No click , can't even jump the solenoid? ZG123s kohler sv820-3019 engine

Hawkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / No click , can't even jump the solenoid? ZG123s kohler sv820-3019 engine
Okay had some starting issues. So , I replaced the battery last year. The beginning of the season ,still had some but it started. Last week after mowing for 1 1/2, five days later wouldn't start. Checked the charging circuit , specifically the rectifier according to the shop manual. Checks out. In the mean time I gave the battery a charge . I also checked the safety sequence (all of them with a DVM) the main switch had some weird readings so I brought another one from Kubota. Cleaned all of the wiring connections (since I had to check them anyway) . Checked all the fuses , relays , checked continuity of the wire between the safety switches (according the the wiring diagram in the shop manual). Took off the solenoid check it ,it checked out .It would just turn so slow the starter would just hang up. So bought a new Kohler starter ,not after market. Did a voltage drop test on the battery to starter wiring ,that check out. Since I got a new starter ,I got a new solenoid ,from Kubota. Still doesn't turn or click. By the way I can also turn the engine by hand ,so not locked up. Oh and after no click I looked at all the safety switches again. The last thing I tried was jumping out the solenoid ( I put the original back on ) not a twitch. Any ideas ! Thanks ,whew!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You should at least get some sparks or something if you're shorting across the 2 biggest solenoid terminals...
Test the battery voltage when you have the key in the start position, congress hasn't passed a law yet saying 1 year old batteries can't go bad ;)
Another test on here that i stole from Bert,
Get a set of jumper cables, hook to the battery, + to + - to -.... hook the other negative end to a good ground, unpainted bolt, etc, then touch the + lead to the starter + terminal,(expect some sparking), if the starter turns and it cranks normal, the battery and starter are good, and there is an issue with the wiring, either in the trigger circuit/mower wiring..
if it does not crank like normal or nothing, i would conclude the battery is kapoot.
O'reilly auto parts and most parts stores will load test a battery for FREE.

Hawkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should at least get some sparks or something if you're shorting across the 2 biggest solenoid terminals...
Test the battery voltage when you have the key in the start position, congress hasn't passed a law yet saying 1 year old batteries can't go bad ;)
Another test on here that i stole from Bert,
Get a set of jumper cables, hook to the battery, + to + - to -.... hook the other negative end to a good ground, unpainted bolt, etc, then touch the + lead to the starter + terminal,(expect some sparking), if the starter turns and it cranks normal, the battery and starter are good, and there is an issue with the wiring, either in the trigger circuit/mower wiring..
if it does not crank like normal or nothing, i would conclude the battery is kapoot.
O'reilly auto parts and most parts stores will load test a battery for FREE.
Thanks, I will give it a try. Let you know what happens.

Hawkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I will give it a try. Let you know what happens.
Well that was the perfect test. Then took the battery to AutoZone and Batteriesplus bulbs. One had it at 9 volts and the other at 10 volts with their battery load bank. Bought a new battery, back to cutting. By the way with the DVM ( A Fluke and a Kaiweets ) I always had 13.35 volts ,no load. After testing with the key turned I only had 6 volts. Thanks again.
Kubota ZG123s Kohler SV820-3019.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have one of those Kaiweets meters... its always accurate with my Klein meter.
glad you're back up and running.