Export thread

Nikki carburetor 2019 Kawasaki Mule SX KAF400

M

MParr

This Mule has always run rich and carbon fouls plugs. It’s getting to where it will need rebuilding or replacing. Is there a replacement Walbro carburetor available for this Mule?

StarTech

StarTech

Might be simpler to rebuild the carburetor and install a leaner jet.

You have a choice of 99, 102, 105, and 109 that leaner than the 112 that supposedly was factory jet.

Or order a new carburetor and leaner jet.

Might be trial and error on which one to use.

M

MParr

Might be simpler to rebuild the carburetor and install a leaner jet.

You have a choice of 99, 102, 105, and 109 that leaner than the 112 that supposedly was factory jet.

Or order a new carburetor and leaner jet.

Might be trial and error on which one to use.
That’s what I was thinking. I’m going to try a few more things in the morning. I’m going to recheck the choke cable adjustment. I’m going to pull the cover off of the mixture screw and see if I can fine tune it. If that fails, I will put a rebuild kit in it and smaller jet. I was hoping there was a Walbro replacement.
Thanks.

M

MParr

@StarTech
I think that I’ll order a #109 and #105.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

put a BPR4ES spark plug in it. I've worked on several 600 series mules that fouled plugs, went up to BPR4ES from the stockc 6ES and that usuallys fixes them.

S

slomo

What is the jet size for high altitudes? I see no mention for an HA main jet.

Make sure the needle/seat holds at 7psi.

Carb float level?

How bad is the fouling? Pictures please.

StarTech

StarTech

1727737429803.png
Jet for high altitude get smaller as altitude is increased. Note jet sizes are in hundredth of a millimeter. And they are usually marked.

M

MParr

put a BPR4ES spark plug in it. I've worked on several 600 series mules that fouled plugs, went up to BPR4ES from the stockc 6ES and that usuallys fixes them.
I already have. It hasn’t helped.
I currently have Champion RN14YC in it.
I thought of putting a BPR2ES in it.
The carbon fouling/rich condition seems to be fairly common in these Kawasaki Mule SX KAF400.

M

MParr

View attachment 69765
Jet for high altitude get smaller as altitude is increased. Note jet sizes are in hundredth of a millimeter. And they are usually marked.
Right, the #112 is the stock jet.
However, the Kawasaki FJ400D engine lists a #110 as the stock jet.

M

MParr

What is the jet size for high altitudes? I see no mention for an HA main jet.

Make sure the needle/seat holds at 7psi.

Carb float level?

How bad is the fouling? Pictures please.
Pretty bad. It’s done it for a while now. I’m going to tweak it a little and adjust the choke cable as described in the service manual.
If that doesn’t work, I will order the jets, gaskets, and a new needle. I may order a new float too.