Nikki carburator found on Kalwasaki and Briggs engines.

Exracer

Threads
  • / Nikki carburator found on Kalwasaki and Briggs engines.
Why is there a left and right main jet and different sizes one is smaller than the other. I assume it is to meet air pollution standards.

Thank you

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is technical, but is because of the different lengths of the intake manifolds, and the swirl patterns, one cylinder has a better efficiency rating than the other cylinder. If you run just one jet, one cylinder will run lean, So they use two jets, of different sizes to try to balance out the power output closer to 50-50 instead of 70-30 which is about what you have with just one jet.

Exracer

Threads
The problem I was having was would back fire and sound like running lean from idle to WOT so I opened the smaller jet to the larger size and now it runs great no miss fire. I also changed the gasket behind the choke plate that has 6 small holes and one large hole, one of the small holes was almost shut and would think since this is an air bleed it would run rich/fat but that was not the case.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe the jets were reversed in the first place. I wonder some times if part of the run problems we are seeing with todays engines is just the engine trying to adapt to having a set fuel supply but due to fuel quality changes, compression changes when it goes up during breakin, and then drops as the engine wears. as well as air temperature, can't run correctly.