Newbie looking for a new self-propelled mower...

YNOT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums and am looking for some advice on a new self-propelled lawn mower.

I've had a couple CRAFTSMAN mowers and both have been great as far as reliability goes...single pull all the time and she fires right up. My biggest issue with this current one, is that over time, it seems like the rear bag doesn't fit too well and I'm constantly getting grass blown in my face while I mow. And if the bag is empty and you hit a large bump, the bag will fly off causing me to have to stop and re-install.

I did just find that I apparently have an oil leak also as I noticed some sludge along the bottom of the motor. So with that, I decided after 7+ years, it was time for a new mower.

So...any suggestions on a new mower?

I'm not opposed to a CRAFTSMAN again but I want to see how the bag fits now...if it's more secure.

I also saw a Husqvarna at SEARS that looks nice, but I didn't see many good reviews on it on the SEARS site.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Mower Buying & Pricing Forum. :smile:

YardMonkey

Threads
Like cars and fishing reels, everyone will tell you to buy their favorite. I will only say this...."Buy your mower from a local lawn mower shop"...You will not get the service and help that you may need if you purchase from a Big Box Store or Sears...Shop around and find one that feels good to you. Best thing I ever did was utilize the knowledge and expertise of the guys at the local shop.

Lots of mower technicians on this board with lots of great info and experiences. One thing I learned is that if you give them enough information, they can send you in the right direction.

Always good to tell them how much yard you have and the layout of the terrain, hilly, flat, lots of obstacles like flower beds or trees or swing sets and stuff.

YNOT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Like cars and fishing reels, everyone will tell you to buy their favorite. I will only say this...."Buy your mower from a local lawn mower shop"...You will not get the service and help that you may need if you purchase from a Big Box Store or Sears...Shop around and find one that feels good to you. Best thing I ever did was utilize the knowledge and expertise of the guys at the local shop.

Lots of mower technicians on this board with lots of great info and experiences. One thing I learned is that if you give them enough information, they can send you in the right direction.

Always good to tell them how much yard you have and the layout of the terrain, hilly, flat, lots of obstacles like flower beds or trees or swing sets and stuff.

Thanks YardMonkey.

I did a little research, and stopped into my local SEARS and Home Depot stores for a little hands-on inspection of various mowers.

I used to think I wanted a Honda mower, but after using my father-in-laws a few times, I didn't much care for it. Not to mention they cost a bit more than I really wanted to spend.

So...I decided to step out of my CRAFTSMAN comfort zone and try a TORO. My dad had one when I was younger and I always liked using it so I figured maybe it'd be a nice change of pace from my last two CRAFTSMAN mowers.

I pulled it out of the box, wiped it off and waxed it...then filled her with oil and gas and after about 12 unsuccessful pulls I started to really doubt my decision. I pulled the plug and found the gap to be gunked up. Cleaned it up, dipped it in gas, and put it back in and whatta ya know...she fired on the first pull. Had enough time to cut my front yard and I must say I was really happy with it.

I got the "Recycler" model with the personal pace feature which after a little getting used to decided it's a really nice mower for me.

toro_low_shot.jpg

toro_side_shot.jpg

I'll be sure to check in on here from time to time to offer back my findings on this mower and share with others who may be looking at a TORO.

Thanks again.

Dukster

Forum Newbie
Threads
too funny looking at the same mower today
actually subscribed to this forum to find info and advice on what to buy
then your posting - this red Toro is actually kind of attractive, sexy even...
too funny....will get one on the weekend and take a picture of it next to the 911 and Ducati
hope it works as good as it looks....Dukster