New to me

Fireman 123

Threads
Here's what I scored today. Been wanting an old brick top. It's in dire need of some tlc, but with some blood (green that is) sweat and determination (not tears) I plan to breath new life into it.
If anyone out there is needing parts, I have several nos items listed on eBay right now. Seller : dfd0218. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

nothing like the smell of 2-stroke smoke and fresh cut grass roasting on the muffler!

Attachments

• image-1784993406.png
    image-1784993406.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's what I scored today. Been wanting an old brick top. It's in dire need of some tlc, but with some blood (green that is) sweat and determination (not tears) I plan to breath new life into it.
If anyone out there is needing parts, I have several nos items listed on eBay right now. Seller : dfd0218. Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

nothing like the smell of 2-stroke smoke and fresh cut grass roasting on the muffler!

That is so cool. :thumbsup:

I'm always in the market for something like that.

It's such a shame that it was apparently sitting outside for so long.

scorpwrench

Threads
It's crazy how people are buying 6 or 7 HP mowers today when thirty years ago a 2 1/2 or 3 HP D-400 like yours worked just fine. People have forgotten the KISS principle.

P.S. Whereabouts in KY are you?

Fireman 123

Threads
Well, the brick top was parted out. There's a good market out there for old Lawn Boy parts if you don't try to get rich from it. Other than my 8243, my other mowers are a few years older than I am. That's one reason why I enjoy working on, and using them. The other, and biggest for me, is the challenge of taking something that has been long forgotten and junked, and bringing it back to life. Something that lots of folks wouldn't bother with. My mowers aren't for display. They get used, and I mow a neighbor's yard for a little $ to put back into my Lawn Boy ventures. So it's a win win situation. :)

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the brick top was parted out...

That was quick. So you found buyers that fast? Was it on eBay?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's crazy how people are buying 6 or 7 HP mowers today when thirty years ago a 2 1/2 or 3 HP D-400 like yours worked just fine. People have forgotten the KISS principle.

I agree that consumers (and the manufacturers that cater to them) have lost sight of the KISS principal. Simplicity is one of the things I love about my old Lawn-Boy mowers.

But in addition to having fewer moving parts, they're also lighter and more powerful.

BTW, I think many of the horsepower ratings are misleading -- there was a lawsuit about that recently.