New to forum: need tire advice

Rabco

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. Hoping you folks can help me get a clue.

I own a Ryobi RYRM8002 electric zero turn. No eye rolling. But, please read on. The help I need is probably more general than I realize, *other* than the mower requires a tire size that in a more aggressive tread pattern is hard to find.

The tire size I need is an 18X8.5-8. Wheel pattern is 4 bolts, 4 inches bolt to bolt; wheel is pretty standard I think.

I live in a place full of steep hills just like my property. Altho I realize I was taking a chance on any zero turn being usable on hills, I was doing fine for 2 seasons until now. My lawn has not yet dried out this season....this was not a problem before. We are now getting more rain at shorter intervals. Never my preference to mow even if things are merely moist.....but what ya gonna do? While the slipping and sliding can be unnerving, I have been informed by lawn care pros that have no financial interest in whether I buy something from them or not, that I should change my (rear) tires for better traction.

My expectations for my lawn is that it *not* be turf. Too unrealistic for reasons that can't/won't be addressed. I don't live in the 'burbs anymore. I'm very happy if the grass/weeds look green & uniform in height, the property gets string trimmed appropriately, and surfaces get blown off. I'm thorough and have been complimented that the place looks great. Works for me.

Question: is this a reasonable assumption? In descending order of most traction to least the patterns are accordingly 1) large deep scant cleats, as are often found on full size tractors 2) dog bone shaped cleats 3) chevron shaped cleats 4) S treads; and last-> 5) saw tooth.
My mower has saw tooth style oem tires. I want to try upping my traction game. And yes, I understand a more aggressive tire can mark the lawn. It would still be better than skid marks from lack of traction.

My problem is that either the tire I have found that may help is on back order (wonder why?), or, I don't feel the pattern on what can be shipped currently may be aggressive enough.

Ideally I'd like a Duro Easy Trail in size 18X8.5-8. They don't make that size. Or, a Duro DI2009 in my size. Not made. If I wait until July, I could get a Duro S tread style. Not sure the tread is aggressive enough. I've had no experience with anything other than saw tooth.

Plainly put: I need recommendations for a tire, correct size only--no lifting, no wheel spacers, that will improve my traction. Comments on tread pattern effectiveness appreciated. Specific make and model of tire suggestions would be great.

platefire

Threads
Looks llke nobody is jumping on this. I don't know myself? It seems like aggressive type tread patterns would end
up tearing up your turf?? You said it hasn't been a problem until this year. So maybe you could change some things around to deal with a temporary situation---like in the real steep areas giving you a problem use a push mower or
weed eater. I know this may not be practical if you have a large area to mow but if not---maybe so.

My property is mostly flat but I have some low places that holds water longer that I sometimes get stuck, so I just
avoid/skip that area until it gets dried out enough to maneuver through or either I just weed eat it. I hope you get
it worked out
:) (y)