Export thread

New rototiller..? I think not.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Was at Sears last Saturday, checked out the clearance section of the lawn and garden area, they had a Craftsman 5 hp front tine model on closeout for about $225, it was a return that someone used for about an hour and didn't like it...regular price was about $400. Thought about buying it, but I have an '89 vintage Rally (MTD) front tine, Briggs 5 hp, that serves me well and always starts in a pull or two.

Got home and did some research on the tiller, sources say the entire machine is made in China, and the engine looks like a Briggs, but is an import. Shucks. If it were USA made I would buy it as I wonder about the lifespan of my older one, but it will probably outlast me. The green one has only needed one repair in it's lifetime, a new starter rope.

Second picture shows an '83 vintage Craftsman tiller I purchased at a garage sale several years back. Has not run for a long, long time, but is complete, although rusty...has a 6 hp Tecumseh that showed good compression, was stored drained of gas but with fresh oil in it. I should restore it...right?

Attachments

B

benski

Was at Sears last Saturday, checked out the clearance section of the lawn and garden area, they had a Craftsman 5 hp front tine model on closeout for about $225, it was a return that someone used for about an hour and didn't like it...regular price was about $400. Thought about buying it, but I have an '89 vintage Rally (MTD) front tine, Briggs 5 hp, that serves me well and always starts in a pull or two.

Got home and did some research on the tiller, sources say the entire machine is made in China, and the engine looks like a Briggs, but is an import. Shucks. If it were USA made I would buy it as I wonder about the lifespan of my older one, but it will probably outlast me. The green one has only needed one repair in it's lifetime, a new starter rope.

Second picture shows an '83 vintage Craftsman tiller I purchased at a garage sale several years back. Has not run for a long, long time, but is complete, although rusty...has a 6 hp Tecumseh that showed good compression, was stored drained of gas but with fresh oil in it. I should restore it...right?

If I needed a second rototiller for any reason:eek:, I'd sure fix up what you've got rather than buy that POCS on closeout at Sears.:thumbsup: