New plug, coil, and carb but no start

juntjoo

Threads
So I have a Toro mower with Kohler engine PH-XT675-2070 with new carb and plug and ignition and after spraying it with carb cleaner I got it to pop a few times but ultimately it doesn't want to even start anymore. The flywheel 8s pretty rusty and it's hard to turn over. Any suggestions?

Bertrrr

Threads
You're goin to need to give us more information to go on like when was the last time it ran, what has changed since it was running etc. Just a little history would help us trouble shoot better

juntjoo

Threads
You're goin to need to give us more information to go on like when was the last time it ran, what has changed since it was running etc. Just a little history would help us trouble shoot better
Around the last time I posted here when I had it running . So about a year more and it was troublesome then but I believe I used one of my used carbs that just worked better than another one.

So now it's got a brand new Chinese one off Amazon. I imagine it should work at least for one mow lol. So that, a new coil, and plug. Otherwise everything else is old.

I suppose I'll check for spark again. I could use a suggestion on how to do that easy as I normally have to set up my phone to take a video while I crank it with one of those spark testers inserted. I guess without a partner that's the way to do it

Bertrrr

Threads
Pull the plug and turn it over with the plug grounded , it should be really easy to spin and you can watch for a tiny spark at the plug.
If it has a spark, re install and give it a squirt of starting fluid in the air cleaner and try and start, if it still a no go, you'll need to check the flywheel key to see if it's sheared which will throw off your ignition timming. If it does try to run a bit , you'll be looking at a fuel delivery problem , this should point you in the right direction

juntjoo

Threads
Around the last time I posted here when I had it running . So about a year more and it was troublesome then but I believe I used one of my used carbs that just worked better than another one.

So now it's got a brand new Chinese one off Amazon. I imagine it should work at least for one mow lol. So that, a new coil, and plug. Otherwise everything else is old.

I suppose I'll check for spark again. I could use a suggestion on how to do that easy as I normally have to set up my phone to take a video while I crank it with one of those spark testers inserted. I guess without a helper that's the way to do it
Pull the plug and turn it over with the plug grounded , it should be really easy to spin and you can watch for a tiny spark at the plug.
If it has a spark, re install and give it a squirt of starting fluid in the air cleaner and try and start, if it still a no go, you'll need to check the flywheel key to see if it's sheared which will throw off your ignition timming. If it does try to run a bit , you'll be looking at a fuel delivery problem , this should point you in the right direction
Thanks. You know of any guides or YouTube links for checking the flywheel? I'll take a look myself. I'm anticipating that's what I'll be doing after finding I have spark. Thanks

Last edited:

Bertrrr

Threads
You can pull everything off the top, expose and remove the nut, an impact is best but get it off and look at the keyway, you should be able to see if it's off the fit. Does not take much for the timing to be off and will not run as such, This can happen via a backfire or hitting something while mowing. Pretty rare but it happens

juntjoo

Threads
You can pull everything off the top, expose and remove the nut, an impact is best but get it off and look at the keyway, you should be able to see if it's off the fit. Does not take much for the timing to be off and will not run as such, This can happen via a backfire or hitting something while mowing. Pretty rare but it happens
Thanks. Will report back later...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like the idle jet is clogged. Second, service technicians on this site have warned people a thousand times that purchasing carbs from FleaBay or AutoScam is a crap shoot as 75% of the time they are defective. If the unit came to me I would disassemble the carb and give it a good cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner. Finding a rebuild kit is impossible, so if cleaning doesn’t help, I would be ordering a new OEM carb from my Toro dealer.

Bertrrr

Threads
I've gotten a number of carbs off Amazon and most have fit the bill just fine, maybe just been lucky but having said that just because you swapped the carb does not mean you've eliminated the carb as an issue.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Without any test equipment spark , timing , and compression can be checked with a helper to crank .