new ms290 problems

kdd2696

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a new ms290 a few days ago. The first time I went to cut it was overheating and acted like it wasn't getting oil and wouldn't hardly cut. It would burn the wood, smoke, and bog down. It uses oil but doesn't seem to make it to the bar but when you run it over cardboard you can see some coming out. The chain is on correctly as well. Took it in to dealer and he didn't know since he tested it and saw oil but did put a new chain on. It cranked up fine as it has been when he had tried it. When I got home it wouldn't crank. It flooded and I took the plug out and cleaned it and blew the gas out. Again wouldn't do anything no matter if choke is on or not. Later I saw it was leaking gas underneath as well. I usually wouldn't ask since it is under warranty but I live way out in bfe and it's a long haul so if was something simple any help would be appreciated. thanks

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
If its under warranty take back to the dealer and have them fix it. Dont wanna void warranty by trying fix it yourself. Sounds like the gas tank might be cracked and leaking gas.

okiepc

Threads
Take it back for sure, don't screw up the warranty. :thumbsup:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I bought a new ms290 a few days ago. The first time I went to cut it was overheating and acted like it wasn't getting oil and wouldn't hardly cut. It would burn the wood, smoke, and bog down. It uses oil but doesn't seem to make it to the bar but when you run it over cardboard you can see some coming out. The chain is on correctly as well. Took it in to dealer and he didn't know since he tested it and saw oil but did put a new chain on. It cranked up fine as it has been when he had tried it. When I got home it wouldn't crank. It flooded and I took the plug out and cleaned it and blew the gas out. Again wouldn't do anything no matter if choke is on or not. Later I saw it was leaking gas underneath as well. I usually wouldn't ask since it is under warranty but I live way out in bfe and it's a long haul so if was something simple any help would be appreciated. thanks

If it just a few days old take it back an get a brand new one most dealers will do exchanges or returns 7-14 days after purchases :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MRCo.

Threads
Hmmm. I'd suggest if it has an adjustable oiler then it needs turning up. Also, if it's run in very dry wood then the wood will suck up the oil so you need to rev it a bit between cuts. If you are in far wnc I can take a look for you if your dealer isn't giving any help.