New mower for my grandmother, help

Greenfinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello lawn mower forum thanks for the add.

I am here today with possibly the most basic question you guys would have had but it would help me and my grandmother a lot. I was round visiting my grandmother the other day and she was out in the garden doing her bits and bobs keeping up with everything making sure it all look nice. She decided to get the mower out and start the grass, well, I have never seen something look so straining in my life so as the good grandson I got up and mowed her lawn for her. I am not looking for the lightest yet strong electric lawn mower there is on the market.

My grandmother has a small garden so only a hand pushed lawn mower is needed. Electricity is a must as she won't be wanting any petrol engines and as I said above and light and srong as possible. I don't really have a budget I just want to be making her life a little easier.

Looking forward to some replies guys (Sorry about the poor terminology this will be the first lawn mower I have ever purchased due to living in a block of flats.

Thanks
Lawn mower.jpeg

MowerMike

Threads
I'm not sure exactly what brands are readily available in the UK, but I do believe that Bosch is sold there and makes several small and lightweight electric push lawn mowers, both corded and cordless (battery). Over here popular brands are Greenworks, Ryobi and Black+Decker.

Also, how was your grandmother mowing with her gas (petrol) lawnmower ? Was she bagging the clippings, mulching or side discharging ? Some small electric mowers can only bag.

Last edited:

Homer1

Threads
I've never used one of these, but they get good raitings. There is probably something cheaper, but a little older lady would probably benefit from the lack of the cord as well, it operates on battery and lasts about 25 minutes per use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTQW73...t=&hvlocphy=9014693&hvtargid=pla-319810167808

If you don't want to bag and would rather side discharge there is an attachment for 17 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-MJ401E-D...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=13KNEYN20XYBYTT7NHMS

Best of luck.

MowerMike

Threads
@Homer1

I don't recommend that Sun Joe mower you linked. It has a dumb charger that won't turn off once the battery is charged, which can damage the battery and possibly even cause a fire, since it uses a lithium-ion battery. Also, the battery is built-in and not removable, so the entire mower has to be moved close to a power outlet for charging.

Also, remember that the OP is located in the UK, so shipping might be very expensive.

Greenfinger

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies guys! I am going to check out all the links provided and then get back to you all

MowerMike

Threads
I think I have found the right one here http://www.used.forsale/lawnmowers it's the Greenworks, fifth one down on the page and the lightest I have come across so far.

It says it is located in the USA, so are you sure you can get it shipped to the UK ? Also, it will use 120 Vac mains power, and you require 240 Vac in the UK. I would suggest buying locally to avoid high shipping costs and to ensure proper voltage for your location.