New Guy Looking for Mower Advice

BDevine

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good Evening Everyone,

Posted this over in new member but figured I’d post here as well.
———-
New guy here to seek some advice on a future purchase for residential use.

I live on 5 1/2 acres on which a little over two are maintained by mowing. Of the two acres, approximately 1 acre has some pretty significant slopes ranging from about 15-25 degrees and a very small section that is near 30 degrees.

I have a Husqvarna YTH 42 lawn tractor from my previous residence I use on the “flat” acre and use a 22 in Honda self propelled on the slopes.

At age 60, the knees and hips are starting to make mowing those slopes more difficult.

I’m looking to see if anyone could recommend a zero turn or stander that could manage most of the sloped terrain? I realize I’m going to need to step up into the commercial lines to find something that comes close to adequate. I prefer a 42-48 inch deck as I do have a few gates to deal with.

Budget? Would like to stay in $8-10k range or less. Much of that depends on the “sales job” I can do on the wife. ???

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shop at Dealers near you & look at Toro & Kubota, do your research online reading reviews & by all means if you are a Veteran ask if they will give you a discount on mower, parts, & service. Try them all out operating all controls & do not be in a hurry purchasing first time visiting business, let them know you are taking your time looking at several Dealers.

wrldtvlr

Threads
I’m looking to see if anyone could recommend a zero turn or stander that could manage most of the sloped terrain? I realize I’m going to need to step up into the commercial lines to find something that comes close to adequate. I prefer a 42-48 inch deck as I do have a few gates to deal with.

Budget? Would like to stay in $8-10k range or less. Much of that depends on the “sales job” I can do on the wife. ???

I recently had a similar situation and concluded that I could not afford the commercial slope mowers like Ventrac. You can read what I ended up with and so far, am happy enough with it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get something with a horizontal shaft engine. They'll live longer, especially if operated on slopes.