Export thread

New Greenworks Pro 60 volt outdoor tools

MowerMike

MowerMike

I just discovered this new lineup of Greenworks outdoor tools based on their 60 volt lithium-ion batteries that are currently a Lowe's exclusive, and bought both the lawn mower and handheld leaf blower. They are quite impressive in that they provide the performance of their 80 volt tools at the price of their 40 volt tools. The mower can be stored vertically and has an adjustable handlebar height, which is important to me since I am only 5'-2" tall. Another nice feature is the ball bearing wheels, which you generally won't find in lower cost lawn mowers. In fact, Lowe's also sells an 80 volt Kobalt lawn mower for $100 more that has plain wheels w/o bearings. The blower is quite impressive, with better performance than the heavier and more expensive 80 volt model. I paid $349 for the mower ($50 off) and $179 for the blower ($20 off). The mower comes with a 240 Wh battery and the blower with a 150 Wh battery. You can also buy a 300 Wh battery separately for $199.

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-brushless-mower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-540-cfm-blower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-backpack-blower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-string-trimmer/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-24-inch-hedge-trimmer/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-16-inch-chainsaw/

1 Lucky Texan

I just discovered this new lineup of Greenworks outdoor tools based on their 60 volt lithium-ion batteries that are currently a Lowe's exclusive, and bought both the lawn mower and handheld leaf blower. They are quite impressive in that they provide the performance of their 80 volt tools at the price of their 40 volt tools. The mower can be stored vertically and has an adjustable handlebar height, which is important to me since I am only 5'-2" tall. Another nice feature is the ball bearing wheels, which you generally won't find in lower cost lawn mowers. In fact, Lowe's also sells an 80 volt Kobalt lawn mower for $100 more that has plain wheels w/o bearings. The blower is quite impressive, with better performance than the heavier and more expensive 80 volt model. I paid $349 for the mower ($50 off) and $179 for the blower ($20 off). The mower comes with a 240 Wh battery and the blower with a 150 Wh battery. You can also buy a 300 Wh battery separately for $199.

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-brushless-mower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-540-cfm-blower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-backpack-blower/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-string-trimmer/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-24-inch-hedge-trimmer/

http://www.greenworkstools.com/product/greenworks-pro-60v-16-inch-chainsaw/

looks like a good upgrade path when I want to replace my 40v twinforce.

what is the charge time for the batteries? I think the 80V is only 30 minutes!

what is the actual cut path? does it mulch well?

MowerMike

MowerMike

looks like a good upgrade path when I want to replace my 40v twinforce.

what is the charge time for the batteries? I think the 80V is only 30 minutes!

what is the actual cut path? does it mulch well?

The charge time for the supplied 4Ah (240 Wh) battery is two hours (120 minutes), so not nearly as fast as the 80 volt battery. The blade is 20" long, so the actual cutting path is 20" wide. Mulching quality is superbe, the best of any mower I've owned. Also, overall cutting is very uniform with almost no stragglers. The rear wheels are tucked in quite nicely with the same track as the front wheels, so I can mow to within an inch of walls and fences. It has an interesting safety feature that prevents accidental startup when the handlebar is lowered for storage.

MowerMike

MowerMike

In case anyone is interested, the lawn mower is on sale at Lowe's for just $299 ($100 off MSRP) thru May 24.

E

evans.kyle

Can anyone verify if the Snapper 60V and the GreenWorks 60V batteries will work on either brands tools since GW manufactures the Snapper tools as well?

MowerMike

MowerMike

Can anyone verify if the Snapper 60V and the GreenWorks 60V batteries will work on either brands tools since GW manufactures the Snapper tools as well?

No, they are not interchangeable. The battery cases are sufficiently different that they won't fit in the other brand's tools or chargers. Notice the different location of the guides on the side of the batteries in the first photo below:

IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0105.jpg

E

evans.kyle

Thanks a bunch Mower Mike! You gotta love that they only make that subtle change. On eBay you can get the Snapper batteries for around $68, while the GW are $90.

I guess my next question. Any idea where to get refurbished 60V batteries for the GW? I just ordered my first GW 60V mower and would like to have a spare battery, but I would rather not spend the high dollar they are asking for them new or even eBay.

Cheers!

MowerMike

MowerMike

Thanks a bunch Mower Mike! You gotta love that they only make that subtle change. On eBay you can get the Snapper batteries for around $68, while the GW are $90.

I guess my next question. Any idea where to get refurbished 60V batteries for the GW? I just ordered my first GW 60V mower and would like to have a spare battery, but I would rather not spend the high dollar they are asking for them new or even eBay.

Yeah, that's SOP for all these different brands to keep you hostage to their product line. Also, they would probably be suing each other if the batteries were interchangeable.

Anyways, this is a rather new product line, so finding discounted batteries will not be easy. In fact, nobody, not even Greenworks, sells the 4 Ah version of the 60 volt battery that is supplied with the mower. The batteries that you see on eBay are the 2 Ah versions, which won't provide a very long runtime in the mower. Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it unless your yard is so large that you are unable to mow it on a single charge of the battery. You should get at least 45 minutes of runtime with the 4 Ah battery. My experience is that unless the battery is a dud, it will last well beyond the 2 year warranty period.

M

mroob

I have the 60 volt mower and would like to get another battery. Will the 80 volt work in my mower and give me more run time.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I have the 60 volt mower and would like to get another battery. Will the 80 volt work in my mower and give me more run time.

Nope. Totally different battery and won't fit. Also, even if it did fit, the voltage is too high for the motor.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, Greenworks has finally gotten around to adding a stick edger to their 60 volt lineup:

https://www.greenworkstools.com/stick-edger-tool-only

They are selling them at Lowe's for $179 tool only and $269 with a 2 Ah battery and charger. It looks like a dead ringer for the Greenworks Commercial 82 volt model:

https://greenworkscommercial.com/us/en-us/products/trimmers-ge-080

Kobalt is also selling an 80 volt version at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-Volt-Max-8-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Edger/1000942230

All of these cordless edgers are massively more powerful than the 18 volt Ryobi model that up until now has been the only available dedicated cordless stick edger.

1 Lucky Texan

.............snip..................

All of these cordless edgers are massively more powerful than the 18 volt Ryobi model that up until now has been the only available dedicated cordless stick edger.

yeah, while my Ryobi is hanging in there so far, it 'feels' like it may not have a long lifespan. I burn thru about 2.5 to 3 batteries to edge my property.

dougmacm

dougmacm

A lot of deeply discounted prices on Greenworks 60V stuff at Lowes right now … could they be clearancing it all out to make room for Craftsman 60V stuff ??

I've got 40V GW and 80V Kobalt, so an in between battery platform is not for me no matter how good of deals.

Doug

MowerMike

MowerMike

Reply with quote doesn't work right now, but I'm replying to the above post by Doug.

Anyways, I just bought the Greenworks 60 volt 18" chainsaw, tool only for just $99.50, which is is 50% off normal MSRP. This is the longest chainsaw bar I've ever owned with a cordless electric chainsaw. So, I now own cordless electric chainsaws with 10", 12", 14", 16" and 18" bars. I also own three cordless electric pole saws with 8" bars. I already own the Greenworks 60 volt 21" push lawn mower, 24" hedge trimmer and 540 CFM handheld blower. I also have both 2.5 Ah and 4 Ah batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, Greenworks has introduced some new 60 volt tools based on their Gen II "high capacity" batteries that fortunately are compatible with the original generation tools and vice versa. The battery capacity is now based on 90% of the nominal voltage or 54V, so for example, the 2.5 Ah battery capacity is listed as 135 Wh (54V x 2.5Ah), whereas the original battery capacity is listed as 150 Wh. This is now consistent with Greenworks' capacity rating for its 24V, 40V and 80V batteries, as well as most of the other brands. There is also a new 6 Ah (324 Wh) battery on the horizon, which should improve run times on high power tools such as the new 25 inch self-propelled lawn mower. Also, the Gen II charger is now fan cooled, although the current output and therefore the charging times are unchanged. But the most significant change in this new lineup is not technical. I just purchased the new Gen II handheld blower, which has increased the maximum flow rating from 540 CFM to 610 CFM. As you can see from the photos, the warranty on batteries has now doubled from 2 years to 4 years, which is the same as the tools. I've always felt that the Greenworks 2 year battery warranty was a bit weak when compared to the competition, which offer at least a 3 year warranty on their batteries. Another interesting note is that both the tool and battery are now made in Vietnam, not China. I'm not sure how this relates to quality, but this is the first time I've ever seen anything other than clothing apparel that was made in Vietnam.

20200405_203812098_iOS (3).jpg

20200405_203548196_iOS (3).jpg

dougmacm

dougmacm

I had not heard of this new 25" twin blade mower until you mentioned it here. Looks like it has been out a while as there are already 44 reviews on GW's web site.

Pretty impressive to say the least.

The blades appear to overlap, which makes me wonder how they are timed. Has to be a single motor with a gear box.

Doug

MowerMike

MowerMike

I had not heard of this new 25" twin blade mower until you mentioned it here. Looks like it has been out a while as there are already 44 reviews on GW's web site.

The blades appear to overlap, which makes me wonder how they are timed. Has to be a single motor with a gear box.

I wouldn’t place too much credence in those reviews, as they are all “received free product”.

Yes, it is a gearbox with four gears, such that one blade turns clockwise and the other counterclockwise. The blades appear to be staggered at 90 degrees.

dougmacm

dougmacm

I wouldn’t place too much credence in those reviews, as they are all “received free product”.

I noticed that later on but did not go back to see if they ALL were free product reviews. Got to wonder how you get on the "free product for review" deal. You, me and others on this forum would be ideal candidates as I think we analyze things more than most and would supply more valuable feedback about the product to the mfr. than your average person.

Doug

tom3

tom3

I"d like to read the fine print on one of those free product and review deals. Sort of like a Motor Trend magazine road test of a piece of crap SUV and the only thing they could rag on was a cup holder not deep enough.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well, I went to the Lowe's website where they are selling the Greenworks 60 volt 25" twin blade lawn mower, and the Lowe's customer reviews from paying customers are less than stellar. So much for the credibility of reviews from people who received the mower for free.

On another note, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my new Greenworks 60 volt Gen II blower includes a bracket for attaching a shoulder strap. At 8.5 lbs with the battery installed, it is not particularly heavy, but it is severely nose heavy which requires me to twist my wrist a lot to keep the tip from hitting the ground. The bracket is located forward of the handle grip, improving the balance, and the shoulder strap removes all the weight from my hand. This is the first time I've seen a Greenworks handheld blower with a shoulder strap mounting bracket.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Two months ago I reported that a new 6 Ah (324 Wh) version of the Gen II 60 volt battery was on the horizon. Well, Lowe’s now lists this battery on their website with a $229 pricetag. It is currently shown as out of stock along with the 5 Ah version with a $199 pricetag. Recharge time for the 6 Ah battery is 3 hours. So far, Greenworks does not offer a rapid charger for their 60 volt batteries.

tom3

tom3

So using two batteries to mow a nice sized city yard, $458 + $32 tax. Just for these batteries, no mower included. 324 watts works out to less than 1/2 horsepower. I could buy a pretty nice self propelled gas mower for just the battery money, use it for 10 or 12 years, 1/2 gallon of gas a week.

I like the coming battery era in lawn maintenance but those prices have got to get out of the absurd range!

MowerMike

MowerMike

So using two batteries to mow a nice sized city yard, $458 + $32 tax. Just for these batteries, no mower included. 324 watts works out to less than 1/2 horsepower. I could buy a pretty nice self propelled gas mower for just the battery money, use it for 10 or 12 years, 1/2 gallon of gas a week.

I like the coming battery era in lawn maintenance but those prices have got to get out of the absurd range!

You are confusing Watts with Watt-Hours. It’s a measure of capacity, not power. Think gallons of gasoline, not horsepower. I’m not sure what you mean by a nice sized city yard, but a single 6 Ah battery should be capable of mowing a 1/4 acre lawn. As to cost, there is no question that battery powered electric mowers are more expensive than gas, but you are buying them for other reasons, such as easy starting, no maintenance and not having to store gasoline in your garage.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Two months ago I reported that a new 6 Ah (324 Wh) version of the Gen II 60 volt battery was on the horizon. Well, Lowe’s now lists this battery on their website with a $229 pricetag. It is currently shown as out of stock along with the 5 Ah version with a $199 pricetag. Recharge time for the 6 Ah battery is 3 hours. So far, Greenworks does not offer a rapid charger for their 60 volt batteries.

Sometimes when things go wrong they end up going righter. So, I noticed that Lowe's had this battery for sale on July 8, and placed the order. At that time Greenworks did not show this battery as being available on their website. The total cost including state sales tax was $247.89, and it was supposed to ship no later than July 16. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting, but the status just kept coming back as "order received." So, today I saw it for sale on the Greenworks website for only $199.99, which is only $20 more than the 4 Ah battery and with a further 15% "Christmas in July" discount that brought the price down to $169.99. In addition, Greenworks did not charge state sales tax to the order (the receipt listed it as nontaxable), so I ended up saving nearly $78 by buying it from them instead of Lowe's. Fortunately, I was able to cancel the Lowe's order online without any drama. :D

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, Greenworks has just introduced another innovative 60 volt OPE. This time it's a hybrid AC/DC pressure washer that uses their 60 volt batteries for DC operation. There are two battery ports, but I don't know if the pressure washer uses them sequentially or concurrently. If it's the former, then only one battery would be required, otherwise two would probably be required. On AC it generates a maximum 1800 psi, and on DC it is reduced to 1550 psi, but that is still twice the pressure that is available from smaller battery only units such as the Sun Joe SPX6001. The Greenworks hybrid unit can draw water from either a garden hose or it can siphon water from a bucket or tank.

It is currently sold for $199.99 tool only, but through July 31, 2020 (today) there is a 15% MERRYJULY sale coupon that brings the price down to $169.99. I just placed an order for one to take advantage of this sale price. I recently bought a 60 volt 6 Ah battery, which combined with my original 4 Ah battery that came with my lawn mower gives me 10 Ah worth of capacity, which should provide sufficient run time to complete most tasks.

1596220697190.png

tom3

tom3

One thing I'd maybe add is a water tank on the back of that machine. Be really handy to fill the tank and take it anywhere for a small job. Totally self contained with maybe 5 gallons for a two minute job out in the back forty.

MowerMike

MowerMike

One thing I'd maybe add is a water tank on the back of that machine. Be really handy to fill the tank and take it anywhere for a small job. Totally self contained with maybe 5 gallons for a two minute job out in the back forty.

Great idea ! Actually, the maximum flow is only 1.1 GPM, so a 5 gallon tank would last about 4-1/2 minutes.

S

slomo

My neighbor has one of these battery mowers. He mows like once a month. Takes him all day to do his maybe 1500sf front yard. He gets 1 foot and the blade stops. Has to back up and sometimes clean out the deck. Better not let your grass get out of control if you have one of these. As in mowing twice a week or more.

slomo

dougmacm

dougmacm

My neighbor has one of these battery mowers. He mows like once a month. Takes him all day to do his maybe 1500sf front yard. He gets 1 foot and the blade stops. Has to back up and sometimes clean out the deck. Better not let your grass get out of control if you have one of these. As in mowing twice a week or more.

slomo

He's obviously got a lemon for a mower. The 40V, 60V, & 80V Greenworks built mowers from all the various brand names are great and REAL functional mowers.

Doug

MowerMike

MowerMike

He's obviously got a lemon for a mower.

Either that, or he's trying to mow foot long grass with the mower set to its lowest cutting height. That will stall out any lawn mower, electric or gas.

S

slomo

Either that, or he's trying to mow foot long grass with the mower set to its lowest cutting height. That will stall out any lawn mower, electric or gas.
I took my 1989 Snapper Hi-Vac over to the neighbors house. Showed him how a real mower can punch through his grass. He is the proud owner of a new Snapper Commercial with the hoss Briggs 8.50 torque monster engine. That sucker is an impressive mower. His foot tall bermuda got slayed with that torque champion. Mine is only a 4hp 190cc Briggs compared to his new big block Briggs LOL.

He threw his one year old EGO $780.00 toy mower to the curb.

My local pawn shop has 6 EGO's, 7 Greenworks, 4 Ryobi's, 6 Black and Decker's and 1 Scott's battery mowers. They have 2 ultra low end MTD gas mowers for sale.

slomo

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well, I guess we live in different worlds, because my experience is quite different. I used to own a Husqvarna push mower with a Honda GCV160 engine, and it struggled and stalled out in longer grass when I set the deck height to its lower positions. The cordless electric mowers that I’ve owned since then have worked a lot better. Sometimes people use mowers improperly, trying to cut wet grass that quickly builds up on the deck, which prevents the blade from spinning. Also, trying to mulch very long grass requires a lot of power, and it’s better to side discharge in such situations. Most electric mowers have a soft start feature to save on battery usage that takes a few seconds for the blade to get up to speed and won’t work if the mower is sitting on long uncut grass. If you read the reviews for cordless electric mowers, very few complain about insufficient power, mostly it’s about battery runtime and cost.

S

slomo

Well, I guess we live in different worlds, because my experience is quite different. I used to own a Husqvarna push mower with a Honda GCV160 engine, and it struggled and stalled out in longer grass when I set the deck height to its lower positions. The cordless electric mowers that I’ve owned since then have worked a lot better. Sometimes people use mowers improperly, trying to cut wet grass that quickly builds up on the deck, which prevents the blade from spinning. Also, trying to mulch very long grass requires a lot of power, and it’s better to side discharge in such situations. Most electric mowers have a soft start feature to save on battery usage that takes a few seconds for the blade to get up to speed and won’t work if the mower is sitting on long uncut grass. If you read the reviews for cordless electric mowers, very few complain about insufficient power, mostly it’s about battery runtime and cost.
That Honda or any Honda push mower engine is gutless. Even the Commercial GXV160 has something like 5 or 6 ft lbs of torque. No surprise there.

slomo

MowerMike

MowerMike

That Honda or any Honda push mower engine is gutless. Even the Commercial GXV160 has something like 5 or 6 ft lbs of torque. No surprise there.

According to the specs for the Honda GCV160 engine, it produces 6.9 lb-ft of torque at 2500 rpm, which doesn't seem all that wimpy to me. What is the torque rating of your B&S engine ? Is it push or self-propel ? In any event, I mow my lawn every two weeks, the grass never gets close to a foot tall and my Greenworks 60 volt lawn mower never gets close to bogging down. Also, I mulch only, which places the most load on a mower. Finally, I only mow when the grass is dry at least one day after sustained rain. After mowing, I clean off the deck to prevent buildup. So, for me and my mowing habits the cordless electric mowers have worked fine.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, last Friday I received the hybrid pressure washer, and eagerly assembled it. At first everything seemed fine, but then I noticed something strange. The pressure washer pump was resting on top of the detergent tank filler cap, and when I inspected it the entire motor/pump assembly was completely loose inside the housing. It could be moved up and down and rotated freely along its horizontal axis. Now, had I purchased this from Lowe's as I normally do with 60 volt tools, I would have returned it straight away for a refund. However, I purchased this online directly from Greenworks, and didn't want to deal with them as I know from past experience that it would be a nightmare. I decided to take a chance and disassemble it to see if I could fix it myself, and possibly screw myself out of what I had paid for it.

It took awhile to figure out how to open it up. Normally, there would be a top half of the housing that would be removed with all the parts laying in the bottom, but this proved to be just the opposite. I had to first detach the entire assembly from the cart frame, and then flip it over to remove the bottom half of the housing, which is held in place by nine screws that attach it to the top half. Once removed, it was apparent that all components such as the motor/pump assembly and the switch sit in the top half, and are held in place entirely by the bottom half clamping them against the top half. Everything has to be placed very precisely, otherwise it simply won't go together correctly. Also, I noticed that there was some sort of cover or shroud over the motor that was completely loose at the rear where the motor fan resides, a wire from the motor to the PCB was badly mashed with cut insulation and exposed conductor and there were two loose seals of some sort just lying in the cavity. I moved the shroud towards the pump end until it became tight, covered the damaged wire with electrical tape, and through a process of trial and error figured out exactly how the motor/pump assembly needed to be located within the top housing section. As to the mysterious seals, I later figured out that one of these is meant to be placed on the switch shaft on the outside of the housing underneath the switch knob to prevent water entry. So, basically the assembly line worker did an incompetent job and there was no QC done afterwards to intercept it before it was packaged.

While I had the housings apart, I decided to remove the AC power cord, since I will only use this pressure washer in 60 Vdc mode, given that I have several other more powerful corded electric pressure washers. I also removed the no longer needed power cord hook to further reduce the clutter. I then reassembled the housing, installed the switch seal and knob, and ran the motor briefly with two batteries installed to make sure it was operational before mounting the assembly back on the cart frame. Finally, I amazingly found a plastic plug for the hole in the housing vacated by the removed power cord that was a perfect fit. Even the diameter of the plug's head was the same as the flat on the housing, and the color was the same !

Next morning, I tried it out on my car using the soap tip with some Karcher vehicle wash, 25 degree and 40 degree tips, and then used the turbo nozzle on some driveway concrete. I connected it to my house water supply with a garden hose rather than use the siphon kit. The siphon kit includes a priming valve, which is installed between the pressure washer pump outlet and the pressure hose. Greenworks claims in the description on their website that the pressure washer generates 1550 psi at 1.1 GPM in 60 volt cordless mode, however, the label on the washer housing, Operator Manual and box all state that it is only 1500 psi at 1.0 GPM. Regardless, it is sufficient to clean a car and pavement.

Now for the bad news. Two batteries are required for operation, and I used 50% of two 6 Ah batteries in about 10 minutes. This means that even with the largest capacity batteries, maximum runtime is only about 20 minutes. This is sufficient runtime to complete small jobs such as washing a car or cleaning a deck, but don't expect to clean your siding or a large fence.

Quality control issues aside, I am satisfied with this new hybrid pressure washer, and think it is the first practical cordless unit on the market.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Today I used the 60 volt pressure washer for a second time, and determined that it definitely needs two batteries to operate. It also drains both batteries at the same rate, so if different capacity batteries are used, then the lower capacity battery is depleted first and the pressure washer stops running, even though the higher capacity battery still has some charge remaining.

A minor annoyance is that Greenworks did not supply the pressure hose with a velcro strap to keep it from unraveling when stored. I’m using a large plastic twist tie for now until I can source a velcro strap......or two.

tom3

tom3

I wonder if the washer is running those batteries in series, 120 vDC. Will it run with one battery installed in either slot?

MowerMike

MowerMike

I wonder if the washer is running those batteries in series, 120 vDC. Will it run with one battery installed in either slot?

Well, according to Greenworks, it is a 60 volt system, but the behavior suggests that they are wired in series as you suggest. And, no, it definitely won't run with only one battery installed in either compartment.

Also, remember that this is a hybrid system, that also runs on 120 Vac, so it makes sense that it would have a 120 volt universal motor.

1 Lucky Texan

I have a 60V Edger. I just barely can not complete edging all my proerty on one charge so, looked around for some other device to get that would come with a second battery. I got the 60V inverter. I figure it gives me a little emergency back-up power, and maybe I could use it to remotely run a box fan on the patio or ???

60V 2Ah does run the fan, but maybe not as long as I'd like.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I have a 60V Edger. I just barely can not complete edging all my proerty on one charge so, looked around for some other device to get that would come with a second battery. I got the 60V inverter. I figure it gives me a little emergency back-up power, and maybe I could use it to remotely run a box fan on the patio or ???

60V 2Ah does run the fan, but maybe not as long as I'd like.

Right now you can pick up a new Greenworks Gen II 60 volt 4 Ah battery for $143.99 with free shipping and no state sales tax >>> https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-voltage/60v/60v-batteries-accessories

Also, Lowe's has a sale on the new Greenworks Gen II 60 volt 21" self-propel lawn mower for $324.35, which includes a 5 Ah battery >>> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks...21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower/1001768422

1 Lucky Texan

Right now you can pick up a new Greenworks Gen II 60 volt 4 Ah battery for $143.99 with free shipping and no state sales tax >>> https://www.greenworkstools.com/shop-by-voltage/60v/60v-batteries-accessories

Also, Lowe's has a sale on the new Greenworks Gen II 60 volt 21" self-propel lawn mower for $324.35, which includes a 5 Ah battery >>> https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks...21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower/1001768422

yeah, a 60V 4 or 5Ah would be nice....maybe in the future.

The 2 40V mowers are still fine so far. Twinforce and MO40L01 .

MowerMike

MowerMike

A minor annoyance is that Greenworks did not supply the pressure hose with a velcro strap to keep it from unraveling when stored. I’m using a large plastic twist tie for now until I can source a velcro strap......or two.

So, today I looked at some images of this pressure washer, and it looks like the hose was actually supposed to include a velcro strap for storage. Just another example of crappy quality control.

Greenworks hybrid pressure washer.jpg

tom3

tom3

I have a Greenworks lunchbox electric washer and it also had a velcro strap for the hose. Little thing that does come in handy.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, today I visited the greenworkstools website and discovered that the 60 volt edger is no longer listed. It is also no longer to be found on the Lowe's website. Instead, it has been replaced with a more expensive 80 volt version that is the same price as the 80 volt Kobalt version being sold at Lowe's.

1 Lucky Texan

wow, wonder if CPO or ebay will have some units

MowerMike

MowerMike

wow, wonder if CPO or ebay will have some units

I did a search on eBay, and the only thing I could find was the Greenworks 82 volt commercial bare tool for $259. CPO doesn't even carry Greenworks 60 volt tools.

MowerMike

MowerMike

DEAL ALERT !!! https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenworks...21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower/1000179065

This is 50% off MSRP, and one of the best deals I've ever seen on a full sized cordless mower with a steel deck.

Update on 9/12/2020 - The sale is over, so if you didn’t get one it’s too late. :cry:

MowerMike

MowerMike

Security Alert

Back in March I bought a 60 volt blower from the Greenworks Tools website using my credit card. Approximately two weeks later my card number was used fraudulently on another website, requiring me to cancel the card and go through the tedious process of assigning a new card to dozens of accounts. I was unable to determine where and how my card got stolen, until now. Today I received a letter from Greenworks informing me that there had been a data breach on their website, and that customer information including credit card number, expiration date, CVV (card verfication value), name and address had been stolen. I assume that my email address was stolen as well, since it was also used in the fraudulent transaction. According to Greenworks, this theft activity took place for nearly a year before they detected it. Although Greenworks claims that they have since addressed the problem, and that it is safe to do business with them online, I will no longer purchase anything from them unless they make other secure payment methods such as PayPal available.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Don’t bother answering a question on the GreenworksTools website that corrects an erroneous answer by the official Greenworks tech staff. They will refuse to post your answer, stating that it did not meet their website guidelines. No foul language, no insults, just a statement that they are incorrect and explaining exactly why. Apparently, they don’t understand that their hybrid pressure washer is actually a 120 volt system with direct AC/DC operation of the universal motor. They have variously stated that the pressure washer can be operated on a single 60 volt battery (it can’t) or that the run time is a function of the sum of the capacities of the two batteries (the smaller capacity battery determines the run time). This is because the two batteries are connected in SERIES, not PARALLEL. This is not the first time that Greenworks has shown a total lack of understanding of technical issues or the actual specifications of their products. (n)

G

gainestruk

This has become so common we have started using a card we load with enough money to buy what ever it is, I only have 2accounts that have my.bank info, one is car loan with Chase and other is credit card with Capitol One, since we started doing this we haven't had any problem. This works on services that require a credit card in.system to work, even no.money on.it till loaded, its a pain.to remember to load money to cover payments but it has lowered or risk on hacking.

tom3

tom3

Also note that most credit cards have removed any buyer protection coverage that the premium cards used to offer, no chargebacks, no airline protections, no extended warranties. etc. Dog eat dog out there with merchandise these days.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, now Greenworks has introduced another 120 volt AC/DC hybrid tool that uses two of their 60 volt batteries connected in series. This time it's a wet/dry vacuum that looks a lot like my old ShopVac from the distant past. I've decided to try one out, but I'm buying it this time from Lowe's rather than Greenworks because of my experience with my credit card getting stolen from their website. Yes, it's a lot more expensive this way, but I've got peace of mind knowing that my card won't get stolen from Lowe's and if there's a problem I can just return it to the nearest Lowe's for a refund.

1603132223450.png

1 Lucky Texan

cool!

I have a smaller Ryobi w/d that uses their 1+ 18v w'ever. Very handy for cleaning the car. Noisy and an energy hog but, lasts long enough to give the car a decent vacuuming.

I wish there was a household stick vac or small upright, similar to our excellent Hoover Lynx, that used the 40v GW batts.

I don't car much for the physical size of the 60V batt cases, they feel like they have a lot of air inside and , for me, are more clumsy to handle.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I don't care much for the physical size of the 60V batt cases, they feel like they have a lot of air inside and , for me, are more clumsy to handle.

Well, that's because they use the same size case for all their different capacities. The larger capacity 60 volt batteries have twice as many cells, so the smaller ones fill only half of the case. The newer 40 volt Elite batteries are also made that way, with a single size case for all their capacities. You also have to accept that larger voltage batteries will be larger and heavier, just as the 40 volt batteries are larger than the 24 volt batteries.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Today's news is not about another 60 volt tool, but rather a series of new single and dual port rapid chargers. When Greenworks first introduced their 60 volt lineup, the largest capacity battery was 4 Ah, and it took two hours to recharge it with the standard 2 A charger. They have since introduced 5 Ah and 6 Ah batteries, such that it now takes 3 hours to recharge the highest capacity battery with the standard charger. It was time for faster chargers. Also, some tools such as the larger lawn mowers have a dual port design and are kitted with two batteries, such that a dual port charger was needed.

Well, they have finally answered the bell. Some of these new rapid chargers are being kitted with some tools, but they are not yet available individually from the greenworkstools website. They are, however, available for a significant price markup from Home Depot. It seems that the Greenworks 60 volt lineup has migrated from Lowe's to Home Depot, while EGO has moved from Home Depot to Lowe's. Anyways, the unfortunate consequence of this is that Home Depot is price gouging the heck out of these tools, especially when they are not available directly from Greenworks. In any event, here are the three new chargers:

Looking at the Operator manuals for the rapid chargers and comparing them the the standard charger, the charging times for a 6 Ah battery are as follows:

Standard 2A charger - 180 minutes (3 hours)

Rapid 6A charger - 60 minutes

Rapid 6A dual port charger - 60 minutes for a single battery and 120 minutes for two batteries

Rapid 10A dual port charger - 60 minutes for a single battery and 72 minutes for two batteries

I've placed an order with Home Depot for the rapid 6A charger, and should receive it by February 18. I would normally wait for it to appear on the greenworkstools website for a lower price, but as explained in previous posts I'm no longer ordering anything directly from Greenworks, since I had my credit card stolen from their website.

dougmacm

dougmacm

Very interesting.

Doug

1 Lucky Texan

I've never been sure what happens to Lowe's returns, but I think HD returns get palletized and sold on 'wholesale' auction sites, and eventually end-up on Ebay. So, maybe some of those chargers with 'missing instruction manual', or 'no box' w'ever could be acquired that way.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well, I never received my order for the rapid charger. It shipped via UPS, but then was placed on shipping delay due to severe weather, and that's where it has stayed for a week now. The last update was a week ago, so it is probably lost. I've just gotten Home Depot to refund my payment and Greenworks (Sunrise Global) has requested that UPS return the package. If they can't, then I guess Greenworks files a claim with UPS and Home Depot gets their money back from Greenworks. I'll wait for the Home Depot refund to appear on my credit card account before re-ordering.

Things have been really crazy here the last week with power being out for nearly two days with arctic temperatures. Fortunately, I've had no broken pipes, and have plenty of bottled water to drink. The good thing is that I don't have to worry about mowing my lawn (snow) any time soon.

1 Lucky Texan

glad you're OK. WE were lucky (and we tried to prepare) and experienced no outage of services or boil water warnings etc. Not busted pipes. I did make sure my 2 60V batteries were charged in case I needed to try to use them with the inverter I bought for my MIL's O2 concentrator or nebulizer.

it was -2* F tuesday , 76* F today.

MowerMike

MowerMike

So, I reordered the 60 volt 6 Amp rapid charger, plugged it into my AC outlet and it immediately alarmed my computer UPS, indicating a significant voltage drop in my house circuit. Didn't actually trip the breaker and was only momentary, but this beast pulls some serious power when first plugged in.

Anyways, I started reading the manual, and was initially perplexed by the charging times for the different capacity batteries. The 6 Ah battery recharges in 60 minutes, but the 2 Ah battery takes 30 minutes, which should be only 20 minutes assuming a 6 A current flow. Except that this is not how these batteries work. The 2 Ah, 2.5 Ah and 3 Ah batteries consist of a single assembly of battery cells connected in series, whereas the 4 Ah, 5 Ah and 6 Ah batteries consist of two assemblies that are then connected in parallel. Therefore, a 6 Ah battery is actually two 3 Ah batteries, and the 6 A charging current is split equally between them, such that each battery sees a 3 A charging current. However, a 2 Ah battery would see the full 6 A charging current, and apparently Greenworks has determined that this would be an excessively high charging rate, so they reduced the charging current to 4 Amps, resulting in the 30 minute charging time. The same thing applies to the 2.5 Ah and 3 Ah batteries, which recharge in 37.5 and 45 minutes respectively.

The same principles apply to the dual port chargers, such that the 10 A charger never delivers more than 4 A to the smaller capacity batteries and 6 A to the larger capacity batteries with two internal battery assemblies, which see only a 3 A internal charging current. Therefore, the fastest you can ever recharge a 2 Ah battery is 30 minutes and the fastest you can ever recharge a 6 Ah battery is 60 minutes.

MowerMike

MowerMike

Well, the CFM wars continue, as Greenworks introduces a new 60 volt handheld blower rated at 700 CFM and 170 MPH maximum output. This exceeds by 50 CFM the previous king of the hill blower from EGO. Like the EGO, the 700 CFM blower is kitted with a larger 5 Ah battery, and comes with two nozzle tips; a tapered "concentrator" nozzle to achieve maximum speed and a flat nozzle. Unlike the EGO, it is kitted with the rapid charger that recharges the 5 Ah battery in only 50 minutes, whereas the EGO standard charger requires 100 minutes. Also, it includes a shoulder strap, whereas it is an optional extra cost accessory with the EGO blower. All of this adds up to a $329.99 price, which is $30 more than the EGO. Weight is not stated, but I would estimate about 10 lbs with the 5 Ah battery installed.

MowerMike

MowerMike

I just picked up the 700 CFM handheld blower tool only, and am using it with an existing 4 Ah battery that I had been using in my lawn mower until I recently obtained a newly introduced 8 Ah X-range battery. The weight with the battery and shoulder strap is a hefty 10.3 lbs, so the shoulder strap comes in handy to avoid arm fatigue. The blower force feels the same over the normal throttle range as my 610 CFM unit, but the turbo button produces significantly more thrust. I'm using it with the flat nozzle, which seems to work better for normal cleanup after mowing.

1 Lucky Texan

there's NOTHING a Greenworks blower can't do!