New FR730V dinging sound from muffler when first turned off

llongest

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New FR730V dinging sound from muffler when first turned off
I have a brand new hustler mower with FR730V. Mower has 2 hours on it and makes a dinging sound like a cow bell coming from near the muffler right after I shut the mower off. It goes on for a minute or so and then dies off. I have never heard this on any other mower and there is not a lot to be found searching online. Attached is a video that starts about 20 seconds after the engine is shut off. I'm just trying to see if anyone has an idea of what the noise is before I go back to the dealer. Thanks in advance.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just metal in the muffler expanding and contracting.

I would be dumping the oil/oil filter prior to next mowing. And dump it after every mow for 5 more mows. Take your oil catch pan in the sun. You will see a ton of break in metal flakes in your dumped oil. Got to get it out of the sump.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think it's the metal cooling as well...
Might send the video to your dealer, before hauling it to them.

llongest

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just metal in the muffler expanding and contracting.

I would be dumping the oil/oil filter prior to next mowing. And dump it after every mow for 5 more mows. Take your oil catch pan in the sun. You will see a ton of break in metal flakes in your dumped oil. Got to get it out of the sump.

slomo
Thanks, That's what I was thinking/hoping. So you're saying to do 6 full oil and oil filter changes before 20 - 30 hours on the mower?

llongest

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think it's the metal cooling as well...
Might send the video to your dealer, before hauling it to them.
Thanks, yea will do. I was just trying not to be that overly worried new equipment guy that bothers them about every new sound. Too late I guess ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks, That's what I was thinking/hoping. So you're saying to do 6 full oil and oil filter changes before 20 - 30 hours on the mower?
I would, only takes like a quart or 1.5 per oil dump. This is a new engine. ANY new engine you should do the same.

I guess you will get your answer when you take the catch pan into the sunlight. Let all the break-in glitter speak for itself.

slomo

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you read your owner's manual about the first and subsequent oil changes?

I'd follow it.

If you for some reason didn't get one, let me know and I'll tell you what mine says.