Export thread

New craftsman zero turn mower question about reverse mowing

Z

zerocooljedi

I know it is a safety feature but I just came off another mower that had no such feature ,is there a bypass for the reverse shut off while mowing on my 42 inch craftsman zero turn mower ?its a 2013 model I love it but when I put it in reverse the blades disengage and have to be manually turned back on its a little bit of a pain and I imagine puts unneeded wear on the belts . I researched this but none of the tips I have gotten have paned out so if you have a fix please be specific .thanks for any help
I see by other posts this is a controversial issue ,I see many answers for regular mowers but no zero turn I have inspected the underneath of both side consoles but don't see any obvious switch to disengage the blade ,I have no wires that go to the blade area .

wjjones

wjjones

I know it is a safety feature but I just came off another mower that had no such feature ,is there a bypass for the reverse shut off while mowing on my 42 inch craftsman zero turn mower ?its a 2013 model I love it but when I put it in reverse the blades disengage and have to be manually turned back on its a little bit of a pain and I imagine puts unneeded wear on the belts . I researched this but none of the tips I have gotten have paned out so if you have a fix please be specific .thanks for any help
I see by other posts this is a controversial issue ,I see many answers for regular mowers but no zero turn I have inspected the underneath of both side consoles but don't see any obvious switch to disengage the blade ,I have no wires that go to the blade area .

Does yours not have the mow in reverse option on the ignition switch?

Z

zerocooljedi

Nope they stopped that option , I just bought this mower this week so its got all the newest (worst) saftey features

B

bjarman825

Did you get it figured out yet

Z

zerocooljedi

Nope not yet just dealing with it its not so bad just have to get used to no hard switch to reverse

B

bjarman825

Nope not yet just dealing with it its not so bad just have to get used to no hard switch to reverse

Ok I got the same mower last weekend and I didn't like not being able cut in reverse. That's how I came across this forum and the other 5 forum you posted on. I figured it out this afternoon. Do you still want information on how to do it

Z

zerocooljedi

Sure that'd be great

B

bjarman825

Sure that'd be great

Well basically you have to disassemble the top half of mower. The switches are under the seat up towards the front it front of the control levers. They are actually tagged reverse switch. Its a pain in the butt to get to. If you need more information let me know

B

bjarman825

Well basically you have to disassemble the top half of mower. The switches are under the seat up towards the front it front of the control levers. They are actually tagged reverse switch. Its a pain in the butt to get to. If you need more information let me know

If you don't care about warranty you can cut the wires instead of un clipping them cause I sure debated it

Z

zerocooljedi

I have to un clip I bought the extended warranty for 3 years so I cant cut on it in case I run into a serviceable issue .but thanks for the info ..thanks ill give it a go

P

peterc

HI, I have the same issue. 30 minutes mowing take 30 times manually re-engage PTO. It drive me super crazy!!! So it should be 2 individual tagged switch in fornt of 2 lapbars? Is that right? Do I need to disassemble both side plastic cover, battery and the top metal cover above lapbars?

B

bjarman825

HI, I have the same issue. 30 minutes mowing take 30 times manually re-engage PTO. It drive me super crazy!!! So it should be 2 individual tagged switch in fornt of 2 lapbars? Is that right? Do I need to disassemble both side plastic cover, battery and the top metal cover above lapbars?

Yes all of that has to come off. I just took the bolts out of black covers and pulled them up and out of the way without disconnecting anything except I pulled the black handle off deck height adjustment. Then took seat off and pulled the battery out. You could take control levers off for some more room to work but when I pulled up the cover I pulled the levers in and rested cover on levers. Then you can see the two relays up front by levers one on each side. Hopefully I helped some let me know if you need anymore information.

S

SkipD

So, how do you bypass? Do you simply unplug?

thanks in advance.

B

bjarman825

So, how do you bypass? Do you simply unplug?

thanks in advance.

Yes just unplug both sides

S

SkipD

THANKS bjarman!!!!!!

B

bjarman825

THANKS bjarman!!!!!!

No problem. When I started researching I couldn't find anything so I'm glad to help

S

SkipD

I just completed disconnecting the connectors. I bagged them, tied em shut and tied them out of the way. Prior to disassembly, I stabbed the wires coming off left side, read open with multimeter. When I pulled back with either bar I observed a short. Looks like the switch applies a ground to the clutch circuit,,, the clutch drops off. Put it back together,,, WORKED GREAT!!

B

bjarman825

I just completed disconnecting the connectors. I bagged them, tied em shut and tied them out of the way. Prior to disassembly, I stabbed the wires coming off left side, read open with multimeter. When I pulled back with either bar I observed a short. Looks like the switch applies a ground to the clutch circuit,,, the clutch drops off. Put it back together,,, WORKED GREAT!!

Yeah I've been mowing in reverse for over a year now. Not a single problem. Just remember if you have any warranty word done reconnect them otherwise warranty is void

S

SkipD

I have actually got to mow the lawn after disconnecting my reverse cutout safety leads. It is SO MUCH BETTER to have the option of reversing...:thumbsup:

F

fireboat

Thanks for posting the information. I ordered the same ZTR and it will be delivered in several weeks (it is taking a month for delivery). That will be one of the first things I will do. My kids are grown and my dogs stay inside when I mow, plus I am used to mowing in reverse with my present tractor so I am very comfortable with disconnecting the switches.