New battery draining on old Craftsman LT2000

CraftyBeaver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey y’all, I have an older LT2000 that I’ve been using to keep about 10 acres of grass nice and tidy for over a decade. I usually google when something goes wrong with it but in this case I don’t know what I’m looking for and I’m hoping y’all can help. I bought a battery about a month ago because I thought the old one was done, come to find out the new one is draining too. Is there an alternator in these things and how does it look like. Anyway it’s a Craftsman Lts2000 20hp 917.28910 and any help would be appreciated. And if anyone recognizes what part the picture on my avatar is I would also appreciate it.
Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That picture is the Starter, when it receives voltage when you turn the key,, the gear hops up and meshes with the flywheel to turn the engine over.
These motors do have an alternator, more commonly called a Stator. Underneath the flywheel.
To test of its charging the battery properly, Get a multimeter set to DC voltage, Positive lead to +, Negative lead to - on the battery should read at least 13.2 volts while running. Of course if you can't start it, that throws a kink in that plan... At rest most batteries should have 12.5 volts.

Last edited:

CraftyBeaver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, very helpful

CraftyBeaver

Forum Newbie
Threads
That picture is the Starter, when it receives voltage when you turn the key,, the gear hops up and meshes with the flywheel to turn the engine over.
These motors do have an alternator, more commonly called a Stator. Underneath the flywheel.
To test of its charging the battery properly, Get a multimeter set to DC voltage, Positive lead to +, Negative lead to - on the battery should read at least 13.2 volts while running. Of course if you can't start it, that throws a kink in that plan... At rest most batteries should have 12.5 volts.

how would I go about in removing the flywheel, do I need a puller of some sort.

keakar

Threads
how would I go about in removing the flywheel, do I need a puller of some sort.
this is a good video that shows it, he uses a pry bar on the engine but i dont think thats something you should ever do or you could crack the block if you put too much pressure on it, i just hold upward pressure lifting flywheel with my hand and whack it with a 4 lb maul a few times until it pops loose

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Agree with keaker, but I would like to stress to be sure you have the nut on the crank, flush with the top of it,don't hit the bare threads, you will make your day harder.