Need help

leapierce09

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman yt3000 riding lawn mower. I changed out my starting solenoid and started it. Smoke came fried the positive battery terminal. I have another and is wired on right, but still is grounding out. Where should I start my search from. Please help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why are you replacing the solenoid? How are you wiring it? Did you remove any others wire, besides those on the solenoid? If you have a three post solenoid wire as follows. Heavy wire from battery to one large post on the solenoid and other heavy wire going to starter to the other large post on the solenoid. Should have one smaller wire left which goes to small terminal on the solenoid. This solenoid uses its case as a ground, so you must make sure it is bolted to a good clean surface. If you have a four post solenoid wire as follows. Heavy wire from battery to one large post on the solenoid and other heavy wire going to starter to the other large post on the solenoid. Small wire coming from the key switch to one small terminal on the solenoid. Other small wire going to ground to the other small terminal on the solenoid.

leapierce09

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why are you replacing the solenoid? How are you wiring it? Did you remove any others wire, besides those on the solenoid? If you have a three post solenoid wire as follows. Heavy wire from battery to one large post on the solenoid and other heavy wire going to starter to the other large post on the solenoid. Should have one smaller wire left which goes to small terminal on the solenoid. This solenoid uses its case as a ground, so you must make sure it is bolted to a good clean surface. If you have a four post solenoid wire as follows. Heavy wire from battery to one large post on the solenoid and other heavy wire going to starter to the other large post on the solenoid. Small wire coming from the key switch to one small terminal on the solenoid. Other small wire going to ground to the other small terminal on the solenoid.
I was chasing the unknown, but know as I am looking for any shorts in the wiring, I found the main battery cable has cut into the deck which is causing the direct short