Need help...old snapper rer

echelonphoto

Threads
echelonphoto
Registered

Joined 5 mo ago

2 Posts

Discussion Starter • #1 4 d ago

I have a 14 hp snapper rer model #331314be. I redid some bearings, boots and new clutch disc. Mower was working pretty good before this, even though one of the rear bearings was totally shot. Got it running again ,but after a few minutes, it would not go forward anymore...I got it back in the shed in reverse with no problem.
Now I jacked up the rear and put it in forward and the wheels turn the way they should, although if you put your hand on one, it stops while the other turns...I am thinking maybe the friction disk in the clutch is worn....I am going to try to put two discs in there to see if that helps. Also, I lost the throttle spring that on the lower throttle bracket, can't seem to get the throttle to work properly...what spring should I look for?

Tinkerer200

Threads
Wasn't satisfied with the answers on the other forum huh? We tried to tell you that disc has nothing to do with driving force, it only takes up space and holds the components in place and keeps them from rattling against each other. If you put enough disks in there to lock the two components solid to each other I guess you would have a driver except the problem is not there. Be sure the clutch cable has some slack in it, not keeping full pressure from being applied between drive disk and driven rubber tired wheel. Some have a limiter adjustment underneath, check that it isn't limiting movement IF it has one. It is on a flat slotted arm. If it was the rubber tired driven wheel that you replaced, it did have a liner inside the rim didn't it? I think they all come that way now, they used to be separate and we had to install them. If nothing shows up with these things then make sure one of the bolts passing thru each hub and the axle isn't sheared. It may be sheared and only catch in one direction. Stand mower on end, block both rear wheels and turn the rubber tired wheel both directions by hand may tell you something. There is a spring under the mower which applies pressure between the drive disk on the engine and the rubber tired driven wheel. Is it OK? Some are adjustable and maybe it needs more pressure OR needs a new one OR needs doubled up, adding a second spring.
Walt Conner

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good advice from Tinkerer200. Also check out Jim Jackson's Snapper videos on Youtube. That guy knows his Snappers.

slomo