Need advise on removing plug that covers adjusting screw on echo string trimmer.

tim4

Threads
  • / Need advise on removing plug that covers adjusting screw on echo string trimmer.
I tried a left handed tool from echo but it does not screw in to the plug to remove it. I also try to drill the plug gently but it screws up the slot in the adjusting screw. How do other people remove those plugs. thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Need advise on removing plug that covers adjusting screw on echo string trimmer.
If the 2.5mm tool doesn't grip the plug then you need to try the 3 mm one. Someone may have already attempted to remove the plug before you.

I brought the set but you can buy just the 3mm tool PN 91076.

tim4

Threads
If the 2.5mm tool doesn't grip the plug then you need to try the 3 mm one. Someone may have already attempted to remove the plug before you.

I brought the set but you can buy just the 3mm tool PN 91076.
The plug was not tampered with before I got the machine. I put a little pressure on the tool when I was turning it but the tool does not want to start in to the plug

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Which Zama carburetor are you trying to the plug out of? As the plastic plugs that the tool is designed to get out is the black plastic one that you can't see through.

Now there a ball plug retainer over the main mixture screw that is brass but it larger than the tool and must be removed using a tap. Of course this a new one must be reinstalled.
1652601280378.png

tim4

Threads
Which Zama carburetor are you trying to the plug out of? As the plastic plugs that the tool is designed to get out is the black plastic one that you can't see through.

Now there a ball plug retainer over the main mixture screw that is brass but it larger than the tool and must be removed using a tap. Of course this a new one must be reinstalled.
View attachment 60512
It is a hard plug black plastic I believe.

Lawnz 420

Threads
It is a hard plug black plastic I believe.
Heat up the tip of a small screwdriver with a lighter and push it into the plastic plug. Hold in place for about a minute 'till it cools, then a slight twist and the plug should pull out, exposing the adjustment screw...