need advice

crispcleanlawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to commercial mowing biz and am currently trying to buy a ztr mower. I have researched looked at all negs and positives of each brand. I have figured out that there isn t a shortcut. Lower price usually means less quality or just not true commercial more of residential etc. I am down to a grasshopper,(great dealer) Toro, Husqvarna, Kubota. The question I have is I have found a 4 year old Kubota z23 with300 hours that looks very very good. Not new but certainly not abused. Brought home and cut an acre with. Runs great cuts great etc. It is like all Kubotas a little stiffer on the controls etc. needs a bath but has service record and I even talked to previous owner who traded for a new bigger one. This one has the stamped deck and I really wanted the fab deck. iwill say that the Kubota has the best fab deck and huge half inch steel bracing I have seen. This mower is less than half the price of new which is very tempting but I want to start this business right from the ground up. Iwon t say money is no object but I will say I have money to pay cash for all my gear. everything else including my truck I own no notes. I just wonder if this 54 deck kubota would work as my main mower. I only have my first two accounts and they are not big but I am a pretty good promoter and feel like I can build this pretty fast. (many many contacts I am older been around long time in other businesses retired twice) anyway just wondered what you guys thought of the Kubota or should I just ante up and buy a new true commercial grasshopper or scag or toro or deere they are all good to me..just wondering...

jimrs

Threads
Kubota makes some nice stuff. I have a Kubota tractor that I love. These things are over $8000.00 new so half is around $4000.00 You will find it hard to find the quality at any less than the used market. If it works then I would buy it but remember it might need some work after a few uses. These are great mowers but very expensive to buy and maintain.

crispcleanlawn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't buy the Kubota. It was a great machine at great price but just wasn't exactly what I wanted. I bought a grasshopper z23. Wow cut my first yard and this thing is just right. 54 deck incredibly comfortable. You can change any belt without getting under the mower in the field. It has Kohler command series with the big air cleaner. It will take all the neat stuff grasshopper has. The main reason is we have a small dealer that caters to commercial folks. He handles gravely, grasshopper, stihl. I really looked at a bunch of mowers but for me and my goals the grasshopper just works. The cut was incredible. Very quiet. I think all the true commercials are great machines this one is just a no frills not fancy great piece of equipment. I hope it lasts for years...