Need advice on Turf Tiger Hydraulic failure.

Brad6260

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Turf Tiger with 600 hours looks to have a bad hydraulic pump gone bad on the right side.
My dealer just called and tells me that it's a $1500.00 repair because not only does the pump need to be replaced but also the entire hydraulic cooler and system because of metal flakes that result when the pump goes bad.
I cannot believe that the entire system needs to be replaced. Can anyone confirm the facts in a scenario like this. Almost sound like the dealer is gouging me for a lot more than is necessary.

Thanks,
Brad

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Brad,
Get the model and serial numbers from your machine and go to the Scag website and download the manuals for your specific machine. Look thru the parts manual, get the pump part numbers and look them up on line and you will get an idea of their cost. The pumps are different left to right and can cost $400-$600 each. Unfortunately both pumps share a common reservoir, however there is a return oil filter that will catch "most" of the contamination in the return oil flow back to the reservoir. I'm not sure if there is an oil cooler but some models have fans on the pumps driven by the pump shaft. Bear in mind that a quality servicing dealer will replace that which is necessary to provide a servicable machine and a satisfied customer. Notice that I said most and not all of the contamination, I have seen big chunks tear thru the filtering element leaving it useless.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Last edited:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
If the housing isn't cracked, it can be rebuilt. Have the system flushed and a new filter installed.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, they are rebuildable, but not a job for the average guy.
This is why I recommend getting the operators manuals which usually have a parts manual included, read the manuals to get a better understanding of the machine and its major parts. There are online sources of parts and maintenance for Hydro-Gear pumps and wheel motors along with hydrostatic units.
Mad Mackie in CT

Brad6260

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the valuable input.
Mad M,
Before I had heard a word from the dealer I had taken your advice to look up the replacement cost on the pumps (about $400.00 +labor) so I am not $$ shocked and had assumed it would be several hundred to replace.
What has my attention is the dealer essentially saying if there is metal particles found in the breakdown of the pump and in the system the entire system must be replaced adding another $800.00-$1000.00.
So I guess the question in my mind becomes,at what point can or should the system not be thoroughly flushed,replace the filter and get on with it.

It sounds like the dealer may be covering their butt with overkill on my nickel.

Thanks again,
Brad

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know of a dealer that would put in the time to rebuild a pump, much less time consuming to replace them. If you have the time, the place, the tools, and the skill to do this job then give it a try. Dealing with hydraulic systems is a messy job. You could remove the filter and the reservoir will drain out thru the filter housing. This will give you a better idea as to what foreign matter may be in the oil in the resevoir. You could cut the filter open to see what is in it, however not an easy job without a filter cutter. Filter cutters are a tool that aircraft mechs use as this is part of normal piston engine maintenance of aircraft.
The wheel motor on the affected side is the first place to get the foreign material from the pump.
Mad Mackie in CT

Brad6260

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mackie,
Thanks again for your opinion.
I just talked it over with the dealer and despite hating to put out $1500 on this their argument about not being able to guarantee that no residual metal would be left in the flow to screw up the replacement pump seemed valid.
Fix it and move on!

Take care.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Brad,
Good decision, let them deal with it!!
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing: