My theory on leaking float bowls - please chime in

waylonJ

Threads
I am convinced that if a small engine is sitting on the ground and you have a leaking float bowl it is NOT anything but a faulty float system.

If a small engine is on level ground and just sitting (non-running) and you have a leak, in my opinion it is NOT a float bowl gasket. If the leak is detected dripping down from the float bowl gasket area, it's not the gasket and here's why.
The fuel should never be up that high to begin with and I suspect even the best, newest gasket and bowl may allow drips to leak out. In my opinion the fuel is not shutting off as it should and the float bowl and needle seat is not performing as it should allowing too much gas into the bowl and it will leak.

So as we diagnose these issues and I swear 90% of my repairs involve leaky carbs, my thoughts are to focus on the needle, seat and float bowl height.

Prove me wrong?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gas does creep up the sides of the fuel bowl due to a wicking effect and will leak out of a leaking bowl gasket even if the level is lower than the gasket.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus some Walbro LMT can leak if the wrong bowl gasket is used. Got to pay attention if the original gasket was a 1/16 or a 1/8 square cut o-ring. I have seen DIY repaired where a 1/8 was to used but they only use the 1/16 in the carburetor kit.