My Hustler Raptor stopped suddenly and wont start.

clubairth

Threads
Your picture shows no rear engine guard installed?
Did you remove it before taking the picture?

elizarrj

Threads
Thank you so much for your help guys. I bought the wiring harness and the guard.

elizarrj

Threads
Hi Guys, It turns out my Fuel Solenoid is bad too. Does anybody know the size of the wrench that will take out the fuel solenoid? My engine is a Kawasaki FR651V 21.5 HP engine.

elizarrj

Threads
Well I found a 13mm Tagget wrench that did the job. I replaced the wiring harness for the Fuel Solenoid and replaced the fuel solenoid. But my tractor still won't start. It was just like before. The engines cranks, but that's just it. Any ideas what I should do?

The Chairman

Threads
You've checked for spark, right? Have you replaced the flywheel key? That used to be a big problem with Briggs and Stratton, as it determined the timing of the spark. For most engines a pump will get weak before it gives out, allowing an engine to start but not rev very high. If it just stopped cold and won't start (but still cranks when the key is hit), then ignition is probably to blame. On the Hustler, there are a number of safeties built into the ignition, namely the neutral safety switches (on on each steering arm), the PTO switch and the seat switch. I have not fully sussed out what happens when these guys are not functioning properly, so I would take the time to make sure they are working properly anyway. The latest issue I had was the seat switch becoming disconnected. I could start the engine, but I couldn't move or engage the PTO. I was a good bit away from my workshop and still on crutches from my broken leg, so I felt a bit helpless. I was going to hobble over to the tractor to tow it back, but I'm in the habit of tipping the seat forward whenever it's parked outside so the Florida Sun can't make the seat so hot. As I did that, I noticed the loose wire, plugged it in and everything worked. :D :D :D I went back to the workshop and used a pair of pliers to gently close the female spade connector a bit so it wouldn't tend to vibrate off as easily. So, you are hearing the engine 'turn over' or crank when you turn the key, right? It's just not starting even though it's cranking over.

The Chairman

Threads
After reading the OP again, yes: you are cranking, but the engine isn't starting. Check for spark and suss that out.

elizarrj

Threads
Thanks Chairman for the info. Here is some history of what happened. My son was mowing our lawn. He backed into some bushes, as he pulled out, the bush pulled the positive wire from the fuel Solenoid and the lawn tractor stopped. I replaced the wiring harness for the fuel solenoid and still the lawn tractor would not start. I then replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one and still not starting. I got frustrated, and cut the plunger of the old fuel solenoid, thinking of bypassing the fuel solenoid all together to see if t would start and it didn't. So I'm thinking there may be another issue. I will check the spark plugs as you suggested and all the safety switches. Not sure what else it could be?

turboawd

Threads
Thanks Chairman for the info. Here is some history of what happened. My son was mowing our lawn. He backed into some bushes, as he pulled out, the bush pulled the positive wire from the fuel Solenoid and the lawn tractor stopped. I replaced the wiring harness for the fuel solenoid and still the lawn tractor would not start. I then replaced the fuel solenoid with a new one and still not starting. I got frustrated, and cut the plunger of the old fuel solenoid, thinking of bypassing the fuel solenoid all together to see if t would start and it didn't. So I'm thinking there may be another issue. I will check the spark plugs as you suggested and all the safety switches. Not sure what else it could be?

that fuel solenoid needs power to allow fuel in the carb. the black wire is negative and the green wire is positive. do you have power to it? do you have the old solenoid? plug it in, and the solenoid should move when you turn the key on.

elizarrj

Threads
Its been awhile, and I thought I mentioned that I got my hustler working again. My wiring harness was bad as well as the fuel solenoid. After I replaced these two parts I still could not start my engine. I noticed later that the spring the pulls on the choke valve got pulled off when I lost my wires. Replaced the spring and now everything is working. I also installed the rear engine guard to help protect me from this type of accident. Thanks for all the advice.