Export thread

My 11/11 story

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I don't remember my dad's birthday. He's been gone since I was 14. I know about when it is, sometime in march.
But once when I was 11 years old, I was at my dads visiting. It was 11/11 of 81. We went to Captain Nemo's for sub sandwiches.
When we got home, I noticed the time was 11/11. Then noticed on the receipt, the bill was $11.11.

I'm not a religious man. But when the clock or the date pop's up 11/11, I think about the ole man and wished he was looking after me.

I am a faithful believer, & I think your Dad has been watching over you all your life, & still is... (y)

My Dad passed suddenly on Nov 1st, 1979 & I believe he is still watching over me as well. But at times I do still miss him..

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I am a faithful believer, & I think your Dad has been watching over you all your life, & still is... (y)

My Dad passed suddenly on Nov 1st, 1979 & I believe he is still watching over me as well. But at times I do still miss him..

When I happen to notice the clock at 11:11, it's like a sign that I'm right where I'm supposed to be.

cpurvis

cpurvis

All of us miss our Dads. But I would not want him back if that meant having to lose him again, it's just too painful. Even though there are TONS of questions I'd like to ask him now.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

All of us miss our Dads. But I would not want him back if that meant having to lose him again, it's just too painful. Even though there are TONS of questions I'd like to ask him now.

My ole man was a jack of all trades. And had mastered a few. He was a diesel mech for International Harvester for many years. When I was a truck driver, there was a 1,000 times I needed to ask him something. And even more times, I just wanted to call him up just to say hello.
I always enjoy spending time with my own kids. Something they don't understand is when they come around, I enjoy working. I like seeing them fixing stuff. And fixing stuff together. But, they don't care for all that. They'd rather just sit & talk.

tom3

tom3

I don't miss my dad that much. He was a dutiful parent, more than a lot of kids have today, but nothing special. Had there been decent birth control, or even abortion on demand, I might not be here I suppose. Maybe made me a better parent because of this.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I don't miss my dad that much. He was a dutiful parent, more than a lot of kids have today, but nothing special. Had there been decent birth control, or even abortion on demand, I might not be here I suppose. Maybe made me a better parent because of this.
I think i speak for all of us when i say we're glad you are HERE

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

For what ever reason, you're here. And that's a good thing.

Well, my Dad was a perfectionist, (today they call it OCD), & as such, he demanded that of me. I didn't like it at the time. But it has helped me to be do the best I could at things, or at least try. He taught me many things.

He always believed to not just learn one trade. But to learn as many as you can.

He was a GC who built houses, & in winters we would rebuild what ever excavator or dump truck needed repaired. I started off by wiping off his tools at around 7 or 8 yrs old..

N

NickPCKV

I am beyond grateful for the men and women in this world who sacrifice so much to keep us safe! Thank you Vets!

<deleted advertising link>

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My father worked jthrough the depression and taught me a few things. Take care of you family, take care of your church and take care of your tools and treat people the way you would want to be treated. Too me a few years to figure out hiw smart he was.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Just chatting with my brother this morning, he said dads birthday was 02/26.Which is exactly 11 days after my birthday.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I am beyond grateful for the men and women in this world who sacrifice so much to keep us safe! Thank you Vets!

I got a friend in NC, who's a vet. Him and I poke at each other all the time. Sometimes relentlessly and down right mean. But we both know we don't mean anything by some of our jabs.
So the other day I sent him a text, Happy "you got suckered into another war" day. LMAO..

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I got a friend in NC, who's a vet. Him and I poke at each other all the time. Sometimes relentlessly and down right mean. But we both know we don't mean anything by some of our jabs.
So the other day I sent him a text, Happy "you got suckered into another war" day. LMAO..
SOME of your jabs ;)

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

At least vets now are getting respect from most of the public. We didn't back in the late '70s. Most the country still had a bad taste from the 'nam fiasco. My hats off to all the grunt door kickers who played in the sandbox. Only action i saw were some bar fights. Being Military Intelligence they really didn't trust us with loud or sharp things.

cpurvis

cpurvis

The WWII and Korean War vets didn't get much, either, but at least they weren't met with hostile crowds when they got home.

The way the Vietnam Vets were treated is a national disgrace unlike any other. They are owed a national apology, especially the 58,000 who didn't come back..

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

The WWII and Korean War vets didn't get much, either, but at least they weren't met with hostile crowds when they got home.

The way the Vietnam Vets were treated is a national disgrace unlike any other. They are owed a national apology, especially the 58,000 who didn't come back..
That's why i stand.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My "other father" was a korean war vet. Told some rough stories about the chineese and the winter weather.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

How many vets we got on here? Duty station?
I was Army Security Agency field sration Berlin 76-78 MOS 05H20

unnamed.jpg

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

SOME of your jabs ;)

Some of them are real. Like his ancestors fought for the south in the civil war. So I called his ancestors anti-American. LOL... He got the joke. Even though it was factual.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

That's why i stand.

One of my closest and dearest friends served two tours in Vietnam. He taught me how to drive a semi. He said he didn't think about politics before the first tour. And not much during his time off between tours. Just caught tib bits of stuff. He said what changed his mind was one of the other soldiers looked at him and said "I don't even know these people."
He ended up with two purple hearts and some other medals. I remember him talking about a fight in he got into with someone over the war. After he'd beat the snot out of the guy, he was sitting on his stomach with his finger in his face, he said "All that crap you're yelling is true. But you wasn't there, and I wasn't in command."
That rings sooo true now a days on so many issues. I'll never forget that.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Too many politicians telling soldiers how to do their job. You will never win a war over polotics, ideology or religion.
Getting down off the soapbox now.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Some of them are real. Like his ancestors fought for the south in the civil war. So I called his ancestors anti-American. LOL... He got the joke. Even though it was factual.
lol