Mustang Pivot-s 46”

mrchiro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone know why the blades will turn on and off? I’ll be mowing and it would turn off intermittently then turn back on. Other times it would turn off and I would have to cycle the motor (get off the seat and back down again) for the blades to work again. I replaced the switch but that didn’t help.

It’s a hydraulic system? Where’s the hydraulic fluid at? Is there something wrong with my hydraulic system?

Sorry I don’t know anything about these mowers b/c it was given to me a few months - it’s 4yrs old. Previous owner said it was happening the last month he was using it. Google and YouTube wasn’t much help

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The deck engagement is an electric clutch. the problem could be related to a faulty reverse safety switch. Some mowers will shut off the deck instead of killing the engine when in reverse. And then kicks the deck back in when going forward.

mrchiro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gotcha. That switch is a booger to remove it looks. I don’t have it in reverse and it turns off. I’ll take a look at that.

can you give me some more info on the electric deck engagement? I replaced the deck switch and it has 7 spades.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That electric switch is both a safety switch for starting, as well as for engaging the electric clutch take a look under the rear of the mower and you will see a pulley with the belt going up to the deck. That pulley has and electromagnet attached to it that engages when the switch is popped up. It has one wire that comes off of the 7 prong switch and another wire that either goes to ground or could go through another part of the safety system. The reverse switch could be located in the chain of wires from the PTO switch to the electric clutch that would de-energize the clutch every time you go backwards.

Just changes both reverse switches on a White ZT-54 a couple of weeks ago for the exact same issue that you are having.

mrchiro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well today I completely removed the reverse switch. No change. Just as before, it works intermittently (when it works good, I will short the revwrse switch and it will kill the deck - so that’s working at least).

i did look underneath and saw the electric magnetic clutch that you mentioned. It almost feels like the clutch isn’t engaging completely (slipping). It wants to engage and the deck is spinning. Will disengage for a second then disengage, then engage and the deck spins.

what other ideas/advice do you have? I’m thinking of accessing the magnetic clutch this weekend - what a chore! Gotta remove the seat and cover to access all the goodies underneath it. thanks

mrchiro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally had a day to take a look at it. First time working on one of these lawnmowers- pretty much the same as a push lawnmower except with a lot more parts and electrical components…

If people have an issue similar to mine. This is what I did… I measured the voltage with key “on” and switch pulled up. Electric clutch measured 4.1v (battery measured 14v). Right there I know that’s why the damn thing kept on turning on and off. Didn’t have enough power to engage the clutch and hold it.

I rigged the clutch to the original switch with 14g wire by snipping off the unneeded wires. I didn’t bother tracing the original wires b/c that would require way too much work (seat had to be unbolted and panels had to be removed. Now it works great.

On a side note, fixed and added washers to the front wheels to center them. They were badly chewed up b/c it wasn’t centered. Drives straight and cuts great.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
And now the safety switch Nazi's will come and get you. LOL