Murray Won't Start

LarryJohnson

Threads
Haven't had an issue with the mower all season until the drive belt broke a few weeks ago. It sat under covred roof, but open-sided porch for a couple of weeks until the rains from Ian passed by. Replaced the drive belt today, but couldn't get it fire up. It would crank and run monentarily if I poured gas down the breather, but woudn't stay running. I confirmed the fuel pump is pumping and gas in the lines. Will check the fuel line from the pump to the carb tomorrow. If the line isn't plugged, what else should I check. Could water have gotten in the gas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first thing I would check is the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. With one hand gray this solenoid and with the other hand turn the key switch to the run position, not start. You may need an assistant if your arms are challenged in length. When you do this you should feel and/or hear the solenoid click. If it does the solenoid is working. If it doesn’t click, the solenoid is stuck or not getting power. To check for power disconnect the solenoid plug and test for 12 VDC with a test light or VOM. If you have no power take a jump lead an jump the solenoid from the positive terminal on the battery to the solenoid lead. If it still doesn’t click the plunger is stuck. You will have to clamp off the fuel line to the carb and remove the solenoid. Since you don’t tell us the brand name of the engine or all model and serial numbers, I can’t tell you how to remove it. If it is an older Briggs you may have to make a special tool. Post back after you’ve done your tests.

LarryJohnson

Threads
The first thing I would check is the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb. With one hand gray this solenoid and with the other hand turn the key switch to the run position, not start. You may need an assistant if your arms are challenged in length. When you do this you should feel and/or hear the solenoid click. If it does the solenoid is working. If it doesn’t click, the solenoid is stuck or not getting power. To check for power disconnect the solenoid plug and test for 12 VDC with a test light or VOM. If you have no power take a jump lead an jump the solenoid from the positive terminal on the battery to the solenoid lead. If it still doesn’t click the plunger is stuck. You will have to clamp off the fuel line to the carb and remove the solenoid. Since you don’t tell us the brand name of the engine or all model and serial numbers, I can’t tell you how to remove it. If it is an older Briggs you may have to make a special tool. Post back after you’ve done your tests.

Thanks. engine model is on my signature block.
I rebuilt the carb a year or two ago.

dana a

Threads
If it was exposed to a hurricane you may have gotten water in the tank. Water will lay on the bottom. Have some one rock the mower while you look in the gas tank and see if you can see any water moving in the tank.
When you checked the pump are you sure it was gas coming out and not water?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is much easier for you just post the number instead making us jump through hoops to find it.
331877-1371-B1 Missing Date Code

125 591736 CARBURETOR -(Nikki)
-Used Before Code Date 15113000

125B 594601 CARBURETOR -(Ruixing)
-Used After Code Date 15112900
If Ruixing carburetor I have been seeing a lot fuel solenoid failures.

LarryJohnson

Threads

Wasn't getting any indication the solenoid was operating with power to it so I pulled the carb for visual, and to clean out the carb of ay water. Confirmed that solenoid will work with alternate power supply so will check wiring another day. Cleaned the solenoid ground wire too.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you can find out why the solenoid is not getting power, you’ve probably found your problem. Will need to trace the wire from the solenoid to the key switch. Good thing is it normally doesn’t go through any safety switches.

LarryJohnson

Threads
If you can find out why the solenoid is not getting power, you’ve probably found your problem. Will need to trace the wire from the solenoid to the key switch. Good thing is it normally doesn’t go through any safety switches.
It's alive. All I did was squirt some wd40 in the connection and let it sit overnight. It must have gotten wet with al the rain.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it was me I would clean both parts of the connector with contact cleaner and reassemble the connection with di-electric grease to prevent problems in the future.