Murray 10 HP 30 “Model: 30560 X99A

jack4656

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All My name is Jack, a 79 year old Male, Military Retiree from Fayetteville NC

I have a Murray 10 HP 30 “Model: 30560 X99A SN: 7413900792R00275 MFG Date: 99009

Feels like the clutch is slipping. When I put it in gear it jerks/bucks and barely moves. I tried adjusting the screw on the Brake/Clutch lever to no avail. The belt appears to be OK. Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The belt “appears” to be OK??? When was it last changed? Living in the NC climate the heat and moisture will ruin a belt in 2-3 years. My recommendation is to replace the belt and make sure tensioner arm is moving freely and all pulleys are in good condition.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
With that age, and most likely a gear driven transmission, it could be possible that the internal to the transmission shift keys are worn and are slipping.

jack4656

Forum Newbie
Threads
The belt “appears” to be OK??? When was it last changed? Living in the NC climate the heat and moisture will ruin a belt in 2-3 years. My recommendation is to replace the belt and make sure tensioner arm is moving freely and all pulleys are in good condition.
Rivets, thank you very much for your reply Sir. At this point I have tried everything I know, it is worth spending a few more dollars and I will replace the belts and hope for the best. The mower has been garage kept and there is absolutely no rust anywhere. I will let you know the outcome.

jack4656

Forum Newbie
Threads
With that age, and most likely a gear driven transmission, it could be possible that the internal to the transmission shift keys are worn and are slipping.
ILENGINE thank you very much for your reply Sir. In your opinion would it be worth to have it repaired. About what can I expect the cost of replacing the transmission shift keys? The mower over all is in very good condition. I keep a trickle charger on it and it runs very well. The chaise does not have any rust, it is garage kept.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
ILENGINE thank you very much for your reply Sir. In your opinion would it be worth to have it repaired. About what can I expect the cost of replacing the transmission shift keys? The mower over all is in very good condition. I keep a trickle charger on it and it runs very well. The chaise does not have any rust, it is garage kept.
Looks like that rider used the 4450-1 dana transaxle which is hinting that the required repair parts may be obsolete.

jack4656

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like that rider used the 4450-1 dana transaxle which is hinting that the required repair parts may be obsolete.
That pretty much answers that question, doesn’t it… Thank you very much for your time and effort! Much appreciated.

jack4656

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets, thank you very much for your reply Sir. At this point I have tried everything I know, it is worth spending a few more dollars and I will replace the belts and hope for the best. The mower has been garage kept and there is absolutely no rust anywhere. I will let you know the outcome.
Rivets, I want to thank you Sir. You might only be a retired grease monkey instructor but you provide good advice. You recommended that I replace the belts on my riding lawnmower, which is what I did. By doing that the riding mower runs better than it did when it was new. It would have gone a lot smoother if the information provided in the Owner’s manual was correct, of course, it wasn’t. The belt sizes listed in the manual were not correct. Had to take the old belts and used them as a guide in order to find the correct replacements. Thank you again Sir! Now all I have to do is wait and see what else breaks. Ha.. It’s always fun being a home owner. Never a dull moment.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just got lucky again. Thank you for letting us know the problem has been resolved l most guys don’t do that.