Export thread

Mulching Blades

66vette

I purchased the mulching kit for my front mount 61" mower deck. It does a good job with mulching grass, don't know how well it will do for leaves. I do know it does not work well on pine needles, are there better blades that will mulch leaves and pine needles?

66vette

I purchased Grasshopper 21" Shredder Mower Blades part no. 320322 that helped greatly in shredding up the leaves and pine needles. Now I have to figure out how to keep some of the leaves that are being shredded to blow out in the right front of the mower deck. I mow at 3" height, possibly lowering the deck will help with that. I will have to wait until next year since mowed for the last time today and am now converting the Grasshopper to snow blowing.

OK, Yes lowering the deck can help...

And lowering the rpm a pinch can help as well.

66vette

Good suggestions, at my age I hope I remember those for next year.

A

ARN Greencare

Run double blades.

Mulching blades do well for their intended purpose. The other side of that is being the sail is higher, it will require more to spin them, more gas, & more strain on belts, etc.

66vette

Mulching blades do well for their intended purpose. The other side of that is being the sail is higher, it will require more to spin them, more gas, & more strain on belts, etc.
So if you run double blades this will cause more strain etc.??

So if you run double blades this will cause more strain etc.??

What do you think ?

A

ARN Greencare

High lift blades are harder to spin than mulch blades. High lifts move more air...

Agreed, harder yet. High lifts also require more to spin them.