Mulch kit for Gravely

Dataz722

Threads
I am most likely about to buy a Gravely ZTR but I just haven't decided on a model. I do know that whichever one I get I will get both a bagger and a mulch kit. I was just wondering if I should buy the actual mulch kit from gravely or would I be better off buying Gator blades and just the chute block for which ever model I end up getting.

Will either of these work better over the other for when I am using the bagger?

irwin_fletcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought the Gravely ZT 42 XL and had the Gravely/Ariens Mulch kit installed before I brought it home. I have cut my yard 2 times so far and would say that I am very pleased with the mulch kit overall. The only thing I have noticed is that some of the taller, sprout type, weeds that seem to outgrow the grass don't cut cleanly when mowing at full speed which is about 6.5 mph on my mower. If I slow down just a little when approaching them they are cut very well. I am curious how the gator blades would work both with and without the mulch kit installed.

The grass that is mulched is very, very fine. In fact after the second mow I almost couldn't see any mulched grass at all. It was close to pulverized.

Let us know how you fair with your purchase and your trials with blades/mulcher.

Dataz722

Threads
Do you know what all is included in the mowing lot? Is it just the blades and a chute block or is there more to it?

irwin_fletcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
New Blades and 3 pieces of metal that basically form individual pockets for each blade to cut in. Although I think you would get similar results with just a box end cover if you are mowing grass and not fields. My logic for this statement basically stems from the fact that it truly nearly disintegrates the grass clippings.

Dataz722

Threads
New Blades and 3 pieces of metal that basically form individual pockets for each blade to cut in. Although I think you would get similar results with just a box end cover if you are mowing grass and not fields. My logic for this statement basically stems from the fact that it truly nearly disintegrates the grass clippings.

Ok. It sounds like it is worth getting in that case and then I will just put the gators on it when I replace the blades.

Do those pockets affect the bagging? I would imagine it would and that would actually be a deal breaker for me. I will also be doing my parents yards and they have an in ground pool so they require that it is bagged.

jpollman

Threads
I bought a Gravely ZT52HD last April. On the salesman's recommendation, got the chute block kit. I figured knew what he was talking about. I told him that I planned on mulching almost exclusively. When I got the chute block kit and installed it, I knew it was NOT going to work for what I wanted to do. In fact, the instructions that came with the chute block kit stated very clearly that it was NOT intended to be used for mulching operations! I removed it before even using it and exchanged it for the mulching kit. It's MUCH better than the chute block!

The mulching kit and original blades works pretty well, even in heavy grass. But about half way through the season, I picked up a set of Gator blades and installed them. What a difference, they work great! They do an excellent job cutting grass, but work even better for mulching leaves in the fall. I have a LOT of leaves to deal with in the fall and was skeptical at first. For years I've used a Trac Vac and lawn tractor to remove the leaves. This past fall, I mulched all of the leaves and they just DISAPPEARED! I was shocked. Go for the mulch kit and get a set of Gator Blades.

You won't be sorry if you buy a Gravely!

Dataz722

Threads
Thanks. I have used gators on other mowers before and I will never buy anything else. They are great.

I am leaning towards not getting the mulch kit though and just side discharge on my yard with gator blades and bag my parents yard. Apparently because of the baffles there isn't enough flow to be able to bag the clippings and they would require that it be bagged.

irwin_fletcher

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can't wait to try some Gator blades now...I have lots of leaves coming this fall too.