Engine MTD 753-06441 Engine Swap on Snapper 73DBA Backpack Blower!..A Few Questions?

jdbird1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD 753-06441 Engine Swap on Snapper 73DBA Backpack Blower!..A Few Questions?
Howdy Folks, I've recently picked up a Snapper 73DBA backpack blower. The actualy backpack portion, casing, carb, & fuel lines are in absolute great condition, however the engine (MTD 753-06441 Short Block) is only supplying about 70 lbs of compression, or ft/lbs rather. I pulled the engine out of the blower and also an old Troybilt TB32EC thinking that I had lying around thinking that the engines were compatible only to discover that the Troybilt engine had a much longer crankshaft, and there the portion that connects the engine in the front has an extra metal shroud type thing that pushes the engine back, and basically shortens the length the crankshaft sticks out towards the front. I thought I could buy a replacement engine (753-06841) pretty cheaply and do the swap for under $40, but after seeing how the crankcase connects to the backpack, I don't think it's going to work. Can anybody out there suggest another model of MTD engine that would work on this swap? The MTD 753-06291 is close to matching the 06441, but I'm not sure the crankshaft is going to be the same length after the clutch is taken off...Are there any Experts/MTD Techs/Motor Heads out there that can recommend another engine model I could do the swap with? Or, if not, can someone recommend just doing a piston ring & head gasket replacement to see if that helps out my lack of compression issue? And also provide part #'s for the rings & gasket? I've done extensive searching looking for the parts, but I can find an exact answer for MTD part #'s of rings & gasket. Unless any MTD rings that begin with 753 in the part # will fit my 753-06441, I am having no luck finding specific parts. Any and all comments/questions/ & answers will be greatly appreciated! I could sure use some input on this task. Let's here what yall think! Por Favor.... THNX