mtd 42in 15.5 hp wont move.

donnie74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last year i bought a 1999 yard machine with the variable transmission. Until recently i have been able to shift into forward and away i go. I went to use it and it will not move. it seems like its going into gear. any advice? It does move just fine in neutral.

second issue. i will start if i jumper right to the starter or jumper the solenoid. But when i use the key, it will not start. new key switch too. is their a safety switch on it and where it located? can it be bypassed?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Second question first. There is a safety switch on the brake pedal and also one on the deck engagement. Also there could be an issue with the starter solenoid being bad. So may need to get out the volt meter and do some checking. Further assistance there if needed.

And for your first question. take a look under the mower up under the frame to make sure the two belts are in good shape and not came off there pulleys. And then from there I would try starting it and while leaving the direction control in N move the speed control lever to a high speed setting and let the clutch/brake out. And then pull down the brake, and then move the speed control to a slower speed, put the mower in either F or R and then see if it will move.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sudden lost of motion drive can be a broken spring on the CVT to transmission belt idler arm. I had several them this year for some reason.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sudden lost of motion drive can be a broken spring on the CVT to transmission belt idler arm. I had several them this year for some reason.
And those are notorious at loosing tension, not providing correct speeds or gears. I add another super gundy spring to the party. Last one 2'nd gear was too slow and 3'rd was too fast for the guy.

donnie74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Second question first. There is a safety switch on the brake pedal and also one on the deck engagement. Also there could be an issue with the starter solenoid being bad. So may need to get out the volt meter and do some checking. Further assistance there if needed.

And for your first question. take a look under the mower up under the frame to make sure the two belts are in good shape and not came off there pulleys. And then from there I would try starting it and while leaving the direction control in N move the speed control lever to a high speed setting and let the clutch/brake out. And then pull down the brake, and then move the speed control to a slower speed, put the mower in either F or R and then see if it will move.
thanks for letting me know about the pedal one. new solenoids on it, thats why asking about the safety switch. Thank you for reply!

donnie74

Forum Newbie
Threads
i was wondering if it was something like that. ive only had the mower about 9 mths so still learning all about it. At first i thought it was belt, but those are tight. i could put it in neutral and move it all over.

donnie74

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i fixed the driving issue. There is a spring on the inspection plate, i put it on the wrong side of the selector arm. it was keeping it from going into gear.