Mower won't start

Troymiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I have a craftsman riding lawnmower or that won't start. I have put a new battery in it. I have replaced the spark plugs. I have put a new fuel pump on it. I have taken the carburetor apart and it was clean. I have put new gasoline in it. It just cranks and won't start. When I spray starting fluid into the carburetor it will run for about five seconds and then shuts off. I have checked the fuel lines and there is gas getting to the carburetor. I cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello. I have a craftsman riding lawnmower or that won't start. I have put a new battery in it. I have replaced the spark plugs. I have put a new fuel pump on it. I have taken the carburetor apart and it was clean. I have put new gasoline in it. It just cranks and won't start. When I spray starting fluid into the carburetor it will run for about five seconds and then shuts off. I have checked the fuel lines and there is gas getting to the carburetor. I cannot figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

If you keep spraying starting fluid in little squirts I assume it keeps running.

if it starts with starting fluid, you are not getting gas.

Is the solenoid on the bottom of the carb opening?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
How can I tell if that is opening or not?

It may take two people....when you turn key, you should hear a click at the solenoid.
The click is the sound of the plunger inside being drawn down by the solenoid electromagnet, allowing gas to the fuel jet.
Possibly feel it with the click.

Put red lead of a multi-meter on the solenoid connection (other lead to ground) and see if it shows 12v when trying to start the mower

Check the connection of the wire to it....maybe it has been knocked off, or is cut.
You could hold a jumper wire from the red battery post to the solenoid and listen for the click of operation.
Or rig that up temporarily and try and start the mower (power wire from battery to solenoid)

I hope that all is clear.

Troymiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
Very clear. Thank you so much. I will try that tomorrow.

Troymiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may take two people....when you turn key, you should hear a click at the solenoid.
The click is the sound of the plunger inside being drawn down by the solenoid electromagnet, allowing gas to the fuel jet.
Possibly feel it with the click.

Put red lead of a multi-meter on the solenoid connection (other lead to ground) and see if it shows 12v when trying to start the mower

Check the connection of the wire to it....maybe it has been knocked off, or is cut.
You could hold a jumper wire from the red battery post to the solenoid and listen for the click of operation.
Or rig that up temporarily and try and start the mower (power wire from battery to solenoid)

I hope that all is clear.

I hooked up a voltage meter to the solenoid wire that goes into the carburetor. I had 12 V.

Troymiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hooked up a voltage meter to the end of the solenoid where it inserts into the carburetor. I had 12 V there. I could also hear it clicking when I turn the key

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hooked up a voltage meter to the end of the solenoid where it inserts into the carburetor. I had 12 V there. I could also hear it clicking when I turn the key

These type of problems are difficult.
You know what they say when you assume something.

We can assume that the carb bowl is full with gas and the solenoid is opening////

I just thought about your choke...it has to be fully closed to allow sufficient suction to dray gas into the engine...check you choke plate closed completely.

so, the next conclusion is that the jet is stopped up because gas is still not getting into the engine.
I say that because the engine will start when fuel (starting fluid) is shot into the intake...thus right into the combustion chamber.

Troymiller

Forum Newbie
Threads
The brass fitting at the end of the fuel line, going into the carburetor must've had a blockage. I took my air compressor and blew air through it until it was clear. It fired right up after that. Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it so much ?