mower won't start

cindys66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi new from Indiana
I have a 20 yr old craftsman riding mower, that won't start. Put new starter on still won't start. It seems like it's not getting any gas. I any going to clean or replace all gas lines. But could it be the fuel pump?
Thanks

gfp55

Threads
Hi new from Indiana
I have a 20 yr old craftsman riding mower, that won't start. Put new starter on still won't start. It seems like it's not getting any gas. I any going to clean or replace all gas lines. But could it be the fuel pump?
Thanks

Do you have spark? Is fuel getting to the cylinder? Check the spark. Take spark plug out is fuel on the plug?

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnWorld!

We moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum.

cindys66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have spark? Is fuel getting to the cylinder? Check the spark. Take spark plug out is fuel on the plug?

yes i have spark, the plugs are dry. i am waiting for a fuel pump have taken off. cleaned all gas lines. don't know if fuel is getting to cylinder?
thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to focus a tad. First, give us the brand, model spec/type, code/serial numbers off of the engine, and go through the first step in diagnosing things.

Remove the air filter and cover, and pour a dribble of fuel/or a shot of carb spray into the carb then try to start. If it starts for a second or two, then dies, then you know that it is indeed a fuel related problem, but that in no ways means that the fuel pump is bad.

Do both of these and repost, and then you will be a whole lot closer to figuring out your trouble.

cindys66

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's a craftsman, 50" 20hp kohler model#mv20s. type#57527. mower is 20yr old, do all service my self, up until end of last year had no problems other than normal wear. mower stopped on me end of last year. took in to service they replaced a sensor? ran good after and thru now. was using stopped on me again. took back said it was starter . put new one on. worked for about two weeks now wont start again. shot with starting fluid , turns over but stops. took all lines off cleaned still wont start. checked plugs they are firing. i am not getting any fuel in filter when i try to crank. that leads me to think fuel pump is not working.
any help or thoughts would be helpful.thanks

gfp55

Threads
it's a craftsman, 50" 20hp kohler model#mv20s. type#57527. mower is 20yr old, do all service my self, up until end of last year had no problems other than normal wear. mower stopped on me end of last year. took in to service they replaced a sensor? ran good after and thru now. was using stopped on me again. took back said it was starter . put new one on. worked for about two weeks now wont start again. shot with starting fluid , turns over but stops. took all lines off cleaned still wont start. checked plugs they are firing. i am not getting any fuel in filter when i try to crank. that leads me to think fuel pump is not working.
any help or thoughts would be helpful.thanks

I'm guessing when you say "shot starter fluid, turns over but stops" means the engine ran for just a couple seconds and then stopped running. If the fuel pump is still on the engine its easy to tell if it works. Just take the fuel line off at where it goes to the carb, get a jar to catch any fuel that may come out of the line, with the spark plugs out of the engine turn the key like you are trying to start the engine and look to see if fuel comes out into the jar. If fuel is pumped into the jar the fuel pump should be OK. Then you have to look for something else. You may want to replace your fuel filter also.