Mower won't start normally

trobinson017

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman mower (no specs yet). It won't start normally by priming and pulling the cord. I've rebuilt the carb with the proper kit from Sears. After posting this problem many months ago I learned of a test where you pull the spark plug, put some fuel in the hole, replace plug and start. This works and is how I have to start my mower every time. What I couldn't find here, though, is what does that mean? What should I be troubleshooting at this point if I can start it this way?

Also, my mower has the engine kill handle on it that you have to hold while operating the mower. Recently, it no longer stops the mower when I release the handle. I have to manually push the lever that the cable is attached to at the engine to get it to die. How can I fix this? I hate having to get near the engine while it's running.

Thanks!

Trob

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if the primer bulb is cracked? The jets on the carb could be plugged. The main jet is the bolt on the bottom of the carb. Make sure that all three of the holes are open. About the kill switch. Is the return spring still attached? Is the lever bent? Is the cable moving freely? These are three things to check.