Mower will not turn over.

Ironworker705

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a troybilt mower with a 20 hp Kohler.. I try to start it, and all I hear is clicking at the starter solenoid..I replaced the battery and the solenoid, set the valve lash.. 7 on the exhaust and 5 on the intake... I was told to rotate the motor by hand until both rocker arms are loose before setting the valves... I am going to make sure that I have a good solid connection everywhere to make sure that's not my problem...

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's not uncommon for a new battery to require charging. Have you checked the voltage on it? It should be at least 12.5V.

Ironworker705

Forum Newbie
Threads
No.. I certainly didn't.. but I will when I get home.. thank you for your reply..

TylerFrankel1

Threads
I believe these engines have a problem with the compression release going bad. That would be on the camshaft. Check that last, because (and I've learned this the hard way), tearing that far into the engine only to find out it was something simple like rusty contacts is mildly infuriating. Check that the post you bolt the wire to the starter on is tight on the starter itself.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Which Kohler engine is it? Model and Spec numbers please. Depending the starter use it can be one with worn out top bushing causing binding of the motor.

As mention can be simply excessive voltage drop. Either in the positive or negative lead sides.

Now as mention if it is a single Kohler Courage engine the ACR can be a problem at times. But this can be check without tearing the engine by observing for the ACR bump at the rockers.