Export thread

Mower stops moving

B

Bobh71

My neighbor has a Husqvarna LGT2554 mower. Product # 960450015 00
Ser.# 050809A012154
It was running fine then broke a rear axle. Her son and another fellow replaced the axle. Niow it will run a few minutes and stop moving. If you let it set a bit it will repeat the go/no/go. When it stops, everything in the drive system seems ok, belt moving, pully on top of transmissin turning.
I need to know what fluid the transmission takes ( they put 15W40 motor oil in it). Also this seems to be a hydromatic drive system but there is no release rod coming from the back so you can push it. The hole and decals are there for the rod.
Can anyone give me some info before I tear into it? She is an elderly lady and worries about things.
Thanks in advance for any help.

StarTech

StarTech

IT should a Tuff Torq K46 AW unit. And yes there should be a bypass rod present.

As for the oil Tuff Torq use 15W50 Synthetic so the oil use is close.

You need to look up the IPL for the above transaxle at https://tufftorq.ordertree.com/

B

Bobh71

IT should a Tuff Torq K46 AW unit. And yes there should be a bypass rod present.

You need to look up the IPL for the above transaxle at https://tufftorq.ordertree.com/
Thank you. I'll look tonight again for thye bypass lever. I didn't see or feel one the other day when I drove the machine. On all the other mowers of that style I've been able to reach underneath and move the lever.
I did talk to her on the phone and she to;d me that her son doesn't remember a bypass lever or rod????? I'm also going to try to gat a picture of the numbers.

B

Bobh71

I'm sorry, I checked this evening and it was 5W40 oil they put in it.
I did find the bypass lever, it is broken off about a half inch from the shaft and was under the belt gaurd.
It wasn't her son working on it, it was her tenant and another guy. her son is going to get the right oil or something as close as we can and we are going to start over. Do you know what bolt I can use to drain the oil and where I fill it. I'm thinking the vent for fill but ????

I

ILENGINE

I wouldn't been as concerned over what oil they put in it, I would be more concerned if it was properly filled and the oil level is not low causing foaming and cavitation leading to air lock.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I wouldn't been as concerned over what oil they put in it, I would be more concerned if it was properly filled and the oil level is not low causing foaming and cavitation leading to air lock.
There is no drain bolt on these transaxles. You have to remove it from mower completely, turn it upside down, refill and reinstall. Or, siphon as much oil as possible out refill. I would think hard before going in deep and opening up this transaxle. Lots of work and no guarantees.

B

Bobh71

Coulb C
Could be cavitation but no noise, howl or whine. Runs fine then just stops moving.

B

Bobh71

There is no drain bolt on these transaxles. You have to remove it from mower completely, turn it upside down, refill and reinstall. Or, siphon as much oil as possible out refill. I would think hard before going in deep and opening up this transaxle. Lots of work and no guarantees.
I am going to change fluid but I may have to open it up because it isn't a virgin. It was fine before the guys changed the right rear axle and I'm not sure about their standing in the world of wrenches. ( I just received word thyat before the broken axle it would run about an hour then stop moving and it had to cool for twenty minutes before moving again). So now it's 15 minutes and no go.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I am going to change fluid but I may have to open it up because it isn't a virgin. It was fine before the guys changed the right rear axle and I'm not sure about their standing in the world of wrenches. ( I just received word thyat before the broken axle it would run about an hour then stop moving and it had to cool for twenty minutes before moving again). So now it's 15 minutes and no go.
Running for an hour, oil heats up in transaxle, then stops moving, not good. Running for 15 minutes, oil heats up, stops moving, near the end of the transaxle usually. The pump and drive motor faces (where it sits) are probably scored. Requires replacing expensive parts, and still not guarantee.
This scenario is one of the many reasons most shops only offer remove and replace on hydro pumps, pump motors, and transaxle units. Too many variables and not enough profit, and potentially unknown hours of frustration and risk.

B

Bobh71

Running for an hour, oil heats up in transaxle, then stops moving, not good. Running for 15 minutes, oil heats up, stops moving, near the end of the transaxle usually. The pump and drive motor faces (where it sits) are probably scored. Requires replacing expensive parts, and still not guarantee.
This scenario is one of the many reasons most shops only offer remove and replace on hydro pumps, pump motors, and transaxle units. Too many variables and not enough profit, and potentially unknown hours of frustration and risk.
You are right about parts. II think we will see if we can get another unit.
I just gave two mowers away but I'm always finding them. I'm not sure how many hours are on this machine but with the problem being there for a while I don't want her wasting money.

G

gregboggess

My neighbor has a Husqvarna LGT2554 mower. Product # 960450015 00
Ser.# 050809A012154
It was running fine then broke a rear axle. Her son and another fellow replaced the axle. Niow it will run a few minutes and stop moving. If you let it set a bit it will repeat the go/no/go. When it stops, everything in the drive system seems ok, belt moving, pully on top of transmissin turning.
I need to know what fluid the transmission takes ( they put 15W40 motor oil in it). Also this seems to be a hydromatic drive system but there is no release rod coming from the back so you can push it. The hole and decals are there for the rod.
Can anyone give me some info before I tear into it? She is an elderly lady and worries about things.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Remove the transaxle, remove the filler plug (remove the magnet), drain the oil out, replace the magnet and refill refill with 15/50 (about 72 oz's). Since the axle has been replaced the trnsaxl. has been removed once,I would reopen the the trnsaxl. and see if it was sealed properly.