mower starts, then dies

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD push mower, with B&S engine, I prime the bulb, mower starts and runs for about 3 seconds, then quits. repeat- push bulb a few times, starts, then dies. I cleaned the carb all out. Gas is obviously good, since engine starts and reaches normal RPM's. Any ideas? Why is gas not getting through steadily?

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time to clean and rebuild the carb with Briggs part number 398188. I’ll bet the float seat has swelled and you have a lean running condition.

rigoletto

Threads
You mean this, Rivets?

My B&S is Model # 09P60 20076F1. Just making sure we have the right part. Also, how does one remove the seat? Insert a tiny wire, and pry off?

Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, here is the procedure I use.

Needle and seat replacement.
Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.
I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.
With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. If it does, replace. If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.
PS: On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. Under this cover will be an idle jet. Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My B&S is Model # 09P60 20076F1. Just making sure we have the right part. Also, how does one remove the seat? Insert a tiny wire, and pry off?

Thanks.

There is no needle seat to remove.

Come on the seat is not replaceable on this carburetor; it uses a rubber tip needle. Stop the d*** guessing Rivets as to what is needed. Could have as well said for the OP to use a monkey wrench for needle.

The float needle is PN 594581

590589 KIT, Carburetor Overhaul -Used Before Code Date 15030900
594636 KIT, Carburetor Overhaul -Used After Code Date 15030800

Last edited:

rigoletto

Threads
Thanks, Riv and Star- Glad to know that I dont have to replace the seat. While I was waiting for feedback/help I tinkered more in the garage with the carb. Removed it again, and inspected that seat- its made of brass, not rubberish material. So I reamed it gently with the finest wire, to make sure its orfice was clear. Did that to the other orfices as well, again. Popped the carb on, and BANG- mower started up and ran!!!! YIPEEEEE!

Glad I didnt have to buy stuff. Anyway, thanks, people, for helping! Even though feedback may not be 100% accurate at times (as we are in the internet, hard to make diagnoses sometimes) those people inspire to keep at it, like I did.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry about the wrong info, didn’t double check as I should have. Star, until your last post I respected you and your wisdom. Now your wisdom may still be there, but your people skills are down there with Logerts. Yes I made a mistake, but the way you called me out???? Definitely no need for that, hope you never need fact checking.

rigoletto

Threads
Ive made mistakes too, Riv. Even though you may not have been 100.0% correct, you did inspire me to investigate again, and in the process, I fixed it. That works for me. We still need you AND Star here!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad to hear you’ve got a fixed. Don’t worry, I won’t be leaving, just have to watch what I post and who I trust because some members want to make me look like a DYI.

seattlepioneer

Threads
I was an experienced gas furnace/appliance repairman before I retired. After that, I contributed to various internet forums to try to help people get their equipment working.

There were often others of varying expertise who made contributions as well.

Sometimes we could hit the nail right on the head with an accurate diagnosis of a problem. But it was also quite common that our suggestions weren't especially accurate when the final diagnosis disclosed the actual problem.

An experienced repairman will be looking at many possible issues for clues as to what the problem might be ---dozens of issues may be considered in a few minutes.

That is far more that can be done over the internet with an equipment owner who has limited skills. That's why they pay us the big bucks!

So we can do our best to give the equipment owner some ideas about how to solve their problem, and that may or may not give people sufficient help to be able to solve the problem(s).

With B&S engines, I'm in the position of being that equipment owner with limited skills. In this thread, contributors gave sufficient ideas to allow the repair of the equipment, even if some details that were guessed at weren't accurate.

I'd say those who helped out are entitled to take a bow along with the equipment owner, who persisted until he solved the problem!