Mower start and runs fine until I shut it off then it won't start back up.

Big-G

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower start and runs fine until I shut it off then it won't start back up.
I have a walk behind mower with a Honda gcv160 motor. It starts and runs fine but after I shut it off for a few minutes and try to start it back up it won't start. I cleaned the fuel cap to make sure it was venting properly. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to determine whether you have a fuel or ignition problem. Get yourself an inline spark tester at your auto parts store and the next time it happens, insert the tester and check for spark. No spark ignition problem, spark fuel problem. Report back and we’ll provide suggestions as to how to proceed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going with filthy fuel tank, deteriorated fuel line, water in the gas, never performed a valve adjustment, plugged air filter, Champion spark plug LOL and many more. How old is the fuel? Weak spark? Flywheel key slash hit something with the blade?

Big-G

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going with filthy fuel tank, deteriorated fuel line, water in the gas, never performed a valve adjustment, plugged air filter, Champion spark plug LOL and many more. How old is the fuel? Weak spark? Flywheel key slash hit something with the blade?
It has fresh fuel, I just got finished cleaning the carburetor, fuel lines look good. I replaced the bigger one, didn't have a replacement for the small one (big one goes from the tank to the fuel shutoff valve the smaller one goes from the valve to the carb) I can blow through the valve but can't see through it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Fuel hoses degrade from the inside out. Can the other way too.

Might have trash in the fuel tank. Dirt dobbers, grass, leaves and junk sinking to the bottom. Will plug up the tank outlet port causing intermittent fueling issues like you are seeing.

Flush the tank and blow out with compressed air. Install all new fuel lines, shut off valve and filter. Check for fuel flow AT the carb inlet. Drain gas into a glass jar to verify a solid stream of fuel.

Check for spark as Rivets said.

Oddjob

Threads
You need to figure out if you have a spark issue or a fuel issue. Coils develop internal cracks that open wider when hot and then the spark is shorted out. An inline spark tester is less than $10 and well worth it. But you can also test for spark by taking the plug out and reconnecting the ignition wire, then ground the electrode on the end of the plug to something metallic on the engine and have someone pull the starter cord. Look for a nice blue spark. If none, then you have either a bad plug or bad coil. Try it again with a known good plug to eliminate one cause. You need to do this when the engine is hot and won’t restart.

The other possible issue is your choke. Some engines like a little choke to restart, even when fully warmed up. If you have a manual choke, try closing it a little. If you have an autochoke, when the engine won’t restart take the air filter off and visually check to see if the choke is open or closed. If your autochoke is closing all the way, you’ll have difficulty restarting. If it is open all the way, you may need to close it a little. My Hondas have manual chokes, so can’t help with autochoke issues. I don’t know if they can be adjusted.