mower dumping gas

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a 2006 craftsman rider with briggs 22hp twin. When I try to to start it gas pours out of the exhaust.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The float needle is not seating properly. You will need to have the carb rebuilt with a new needle and seat. Also check your oil. I'll bet that you will find it overfilled, due to fuel leaking into the crankcase.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just to add to above, renew you're oil after the carb has been done.

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response, I will do the things you suggested.

Broke Again

Forum Newbie
Threads
The choke is stuck, probably from having bad gas in the carb for too long. Probably the easiest way to unstick it is to go buy some Shell Premium fuel. Empty out all the old gas, especially the fuel hose, that you can and then put about a quart of new fuel in the tank. Pour a spoonful in the carb. Try and start. Another spoonful, try and start. Just keep repeating this until you get some indication of the engine trying to fire. Of course the carb is flooded so you will have to wait on intervals. Eventually, the engine will fire and run on the spoonful of gas. Keep going and eventually the fuel from the tank will make it to the carb, and the engine will run. The idea is to get the good Shell premium fuel to unstick everything in the carb. It will do it. You will need to change the oil because gas may have worked itself completely through the engine into the crankcase.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A stuck choke will not cause liquid fuel the run out of the muffler. A stuck choke will be indicated by heavy black smoke while running only.

jgood

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt the carb and it runs like new now. Thanks for the help.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that is good news, well done.:thumbsup: