Mower deck Mower deck stops when traveling in reverse

jk3700

Threads
I just bought this RZT-50 Zero turn.

When I go in reverse, the deck shuts off. Change direction of travel to forward and it engages again.

Wow, I don't like this.

Has anyone got a fix for this.

scott47429

Threads
its a reverse safety switch I'm sure i can be bypassed but i wouldn't recommend bypassing any safety device there on there for your safety along with others that may be near you or around you because when you take it for service by law the dealer is required to fix any safety switch that is broken or bypassed at your expense if it has been bypassed but then again it is your mower and you can do as you wish with it but i and alot of others on here would not recommend it

jk3700

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I am guessing that this feature is a built in repair. Each time the deck starts it puts a heavy stress on the deck. I can't believe this is a good thing for the deck components. It'll be in the shop before you know it.:mad:

Sprinkler Buddy

Threads
If that's a safety switch issue, what a terrible design for a ZTR mower. Sounds like more than that to me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just bought this RZT-50 Zero turn.

When I go in reverse, the deck shuts off. Change direction of travel to forward and it engages again.

Wow, I don't like this.

Has anyone got a fix for this.

It is the a safety switch and it's working correctly. Most all the residential mowers ( ZTR, Tractors etc.) have some type of reverse shut-off switch. As long as the thing is under warranty I wouldn't mess with it. Is the mower the RZT- 50 S or the Lap bar model? I can tell you how to bypass the Lap Bar model. That's a simple fix.

Last edited:

LT1045wrh

Threads
My RZT 50 doesn't shut off the PTO when I mow in reverse if I go really slow, it also only seems to shut off if I put too much pressure on the right arm in reverse. I just go really slow and it is usually fine.
Mine is a 2009 model.
Wendy

jk3700

Threads
Hey Ric,

I have the lap bar model.:smile:

What is that fix?

Thanks for you help!