Mower bogs down

Davenj4f

Threads
Ferris 2200, Kawasaki FT730V EFI CS41 -R E/NO FT730VA157991
Mower bogs down making me baby crawl thru thick wet grass, when it didn't used to before. (I do expect to slow down some) Checked valve lash, was around .007, corrected to .005. Didn't help much. Did discover a spindle that was worn badly, replaced and that helped a bunch. I clean the air filter regularly. I'm a stickler for sharp, balanced blades. Had once used, and resharpened and balanced blades on the mower. Not sure what else to check, as it is an EFI motor. Thought I would ask here before I check with the dealer.

GearHead36

Threads
Thick AND wet is a problem for any residential mower. Do you keep the underside of the deck cleaned out? Wet grass will stick to the deck far worse than dry grass.

Davenj4f

Threads
Thick AND wet is a problem for any residential mower. Do you keep the underside of the deck cleaned out? Wet grass will stick to the deck far worse than dry grass.
I agree, but it didn't used to be this bad. Underside cleaned everyday when I get home (cut grass 6 days a week), as I change blades everyday also. I've even tried the stuff you spray the underside with, doesn't really help any, especially wet grass.
Point is, it didn't used to be this bad. That's why I keep thinking something is amiss. Probably will take to the dealer, let them plug the computer into it, and see if it offers any clues.
I just thought someone here may have had this issue and found out what to do about it.
But thanks for the reply.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree, but it didn't used to be this bad. Underside cleaned everyday when I get home (cut grass 6 days a week), as I change blades everyday also. I've even tried the stuff you spray the underside with, doesn't really help any, especially wet grass.
Point is, it didn't used to be this bad. That's why I keep thinking something is amiss. Probably will take to the dealer, let them plug the computer into it, and see if it offers any clues.
I just thought someone here may have had this issue and found out what to do about it.
But thanks for the reply.
What type blades are you using?
Gator blades in tall wet grass are the worst.

Davenj4f

Threads
What type blades are you using?
Gator blades in tall wet grass are the worst.
Stuff I get off Amazon, XHT, Oregon, Copperhead, Reaper. All .25" thick stuff. Regular high lift. Never used Gator blades. These work fine in anything else I cut, even 2' high stuff.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I assuming you have 21" blades with 5/8 center hole.

Maybe you need more air lift. Try the Rotary 16339 blades for those 5101755S blades. They extended air lifts of 3-1/2 inches. This would create more discharge pressure and should help with discharging of the wet grass.

Worth a try anyways can't hurt

Davenj4f

Threads
I assuming you have 21" blades with 5/8 center hole.

Maybe you need more air lift. Try the Rotary 16339 blades for those 5101755S blades. They extended air lifts of 3-1/2 inches. This would create more discharge pressure and should help with discharging of the wet grass.

Worth a try anyways can't hurt
No, 52" deck with 18" blades, but same 5/8" holes. I'll look them up and get some. Thanks for the info.

platefire

Threads
This is from another angle, but in the spring the grass is tender and more easy to cut that allows you to cut
faster and at lower RPM's. After cutting grass through the spring and into the latter part of the summer
the grass get tougher and requires you to crank up the RPM's and even slow down to process the grass.
Wet grass just increases the difficulty to the point of bogging down if you don't slow down. That's been my
experiance

Davenj4f

Threads
This is from another angle, but in the spring the grass is tender and more easy to cut that allows you to cut
faster and at lower RPM's. After cutting grass through the spring and into the latter part of the summer
the grass get tougher and requires you to crank up the RPM's and even slow down to process the grass.
Wet grass just increases the difficulty to the point of bogging down if you don't slow down. That's been my
experiance
You are correct, I experience that also. But my problem is I've not had this problem before, which is why I suspect an issue with the motor, but I can't figure it out. I've rebuilt mower engines before, and fixed many a one, but have never messed with an EFI before. But I do like the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
then the B1FE1052 XTH blades are medium lift blades.

Rotary 15002 .250 are hi blades.

The Rotary Copperhead 3404 is only .204 thick. The 15002 is the heavy duty version.

None of the others in the 18" 5/8 hole are hi lift persay. Most appears to be medium lift.