moving to a Walker from Deere. got a MT26, have 74" deck / gear boxes questions

pcweber

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / moving to a Walker from Deere. got a MT26, have 74" deck / gear boxes questions
I have a massive John Deere 1445 with 72" cut. I fight getting under my trees and I have 30-40 trees. Anyhow, I was attracted to the Walkers low slung design and picked on up. I got the MT26 with 74" deck. My questions are centric to the deck system. I have never seen anything like it. They look all tied together via sealed housings around the shafts. I assume oil can flow across all. So do I check/ add oil in 1 specific place? Also, I have 1 blade that has some bearing play. Are the gear boxes serviceable to the extent a guy can remove it and replace a bearing, seal, etc? Lastly, where/ what is best blades to replace the 74" system with?

Pochie

Threads
  • / moving to a Walker from Deere. got a MT26, have 74" deck / gear boxes questions
Re: moving to a Walker from Deere. got a MT26, have 74" deck / gear boxes questions

Hi. I can't help you as I was about to start a new thread about this. I bought a new MT26GHS last year. I have 60 hours on and have just completely greased/oiled parts for the second time. I grease the shaft every 8-10 hours. The manual is the poorest one I have ever seen. I even contacted the company last year with some issues and the rep says...just follow your manual. The mandrels appear to be sealed units. There are no grease fittings on them...the manual/diagram says to oil them. But where? From underneath on the bolts? I sharpened the blades for the first time also and I see no place where oil would be needed? I love the machine but there are 34 grease fittings...which there are only 33 I have found..and per the diagram/manual the 34th one is using you finger and putting grease on both sides of a sliding latch.
It takes me a good 2 hours doing this. Also the shaft has THREE grease fittings but the manual only says to grease two...but which two???So, I do all three. For the money you pay for these machines and the amount they sell, I don't see any complaints re these issues. Let me know if you find anything out. The dealer I bought it from didn't sell many and didn't have any real knowledge about the Walkers...except.."they are the best". I enjoy mowing with it but it isn't a simple machine to understand and maintain. One more thing, I drained the gas last Fall and it wouldn't start this Spring when adding gas. I couldn't even find the carb to pour some gas into. I think it is under the metal housing with many bolts in. It finally started, but took minutes and many starts to run. I will keep searching the forum and then contact Walker about the mandrels. Good Luck! Pochie