Mongt.Wards

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
thanks everyone for the replies,I haven't had a chance to get it home yet.I'm going to be getting highspeed internet this week with HughesNet so might try posting some pics.will help with that pdf you sent me Kenny. russ

SO HAPPY for you, we endured slow, slow dial up here from '98 thru '09, all my costly computer equipment was hobbled by the dial up service and Hugehsnet was too costly, we finally got Verizon DSL although we were right on the fringe of the distance limitation...hope it all goes well with your installation.

jigbuilder

Threads
I still have my old '82 model Montgomery Ward tractor mower by Gilson. It has the 18HP Briggs twin cylinder with sleeved cylinders and a 42" mower deck and a Peerless cast iron 4 speed transaxle. I bought the unit new. I've rebuilt the mower deck bearings and replaced their shafts so many times the quills are shot. Since '95 it doesn't mow any more. Replaced it with a 1862 Cub Cadet. The mower deck hangs in the tractor shed. However the tractor still runs great. The grandkids pull a 6' cart all over my 40 acres. My oldest grand daughter is 21 now and I tought her to drive it (no mower deck) when she was 5-6 years old. It mowed over 3 acres for all of those years till the Cub replaced it.
Gilson made a good low cost mower for its time.

173abn

Threads
JDgreen,free Standard Installation,no upfront or monthly equipment fees under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.hope it works because dial up is a drag. Jigbuilder I see you have a Grasshopper,may I ask what model?the mongt. wards is just a project machine and will go in my collection russ

jigbuilder

Threads
The Grasshopper is a 223 with a 52" deck. The Cub has a 50" deck and takes 4.5 hours to mow. The Grasshopper takes about 2.5 hours and rides so much smoother than the Cub. I should have sold the Cub years ago and went with a zero turn. The old Gilson is used pulling small stuff and my 50 hp blue tractor does all of the heavy lifting and brush hogging

The Cub/18 hp Kohler does operates much quieter than any of the zero turns and has power steering/hyd lift and hyd transaxle and is quick for a garden tractor but it can't compete with a zero turn for acres per hour mowing time.