Modifying old steel discharge shield mount to newer plastic style shield

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / Modifying old steel discharge shield mount to newer plastic style shield
Just wanted to put this up here for owners of older G'Hoppers with the heavy steel grass discharge shields. I knew the one that came on my 72" would only get beaten up even worse than it already was, so I removed it... but I still wanted something to keep debris from flying and possibly causing personal injury or property damage from rocks, sticks, etc.

I took the stock steel grass discharge shield mount and cut out a chunk then butt welded the two halves back together. I had to drill new mounting holes close to the edge of the deck, but it fits almost perfect and has some give when brushing along trees and other stuff, unlike the heavy steel shield. Something for you older steel shield owners to consider.:thumbsup:

DSCF0415.jpg

tmar04

Threads
Just wanted to put this up here for owners of older G'Hoppers with the heavy steel grass discharge shields. I knew the one that came on my 72" would only get beaten up even worse than it already was, so I removed it... but I still wanted something to keep debris from flying and possibly causing personal injury or property damage from rocks, sticks, etc.

I took the stock steel grass discharge shield mount and cut out a chunk then butt welded the two halves back together. I had to drill new mounting holes close to the edge of the deck, but it fits almost perfect and has some give when brushing along trees and other stuff, unlike the heavy steel shield. Something for you older steel shield owners to consider.:thumbsup:

View attachment 16794

I just bought a used 725k w/61" deck. Grass discharge shield is missing. Got any idea where I can buy a used one? Tks

tmar04

Threads
I have just purchased used 725k and grass discharge shield missing. Prob had the old style heavy steel one. Can I replace with new plastic one ? Is it a simple drop in fit, with nothing else to buy? Tks to all.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Depending on what style the original was, it may or may not be. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I had to modify the existing mounting bracket and relocate it out to the edge of the deck, so cutting, re-welding and drilling the deck were involved to complete the mod. There are several online places to buy a new discharge shield from, either direct replacement steel units for older decks or the newer plastic shields. I use these guys for stuff when my local dealer doesn't have something:

Grasshopper Lawnmower Parts - Grasshopper Mower Parts Diagrams - The Mower Shop, Inc.