model 612 power shaft belt

1mk2

Threads
I have a model 612 and the belt at the rear of the mower that runs the PTO looks to be very loose. Is there a way to adjust tension? How tight should this belt be, I can't find any info on it.

qmark

Threads
Does this one like other hoppers have a spring to tension the belt?

qmark

Threads
So why isn't it tensioning then? Might need a new spring. Are the belts worn? Is there any take up on the tensioner. The spring should have quite a bit of tension on the belt.

1mk2

Threads
So why isn't it tensioning then? Might need a new spring. Are the belts worn? Is there any take up on the tensioner. The spring should have quite a bit of tension on the belt.
The belt is extremely loose so I am thinking it is the belt and I cannot find any adjustment for putting more tension on the belt so I am going to buy a belt today if I can get one and will let you know how I make out. I thought about the spring but have no way of knowing is it is stretched or not since no dimensions are given but I think the belt is just stretched. Thank you so much for your replies, I am learning more and more about grasshoppers and eventually I may be able to actually help others when they run into problems. Not there yet so I much appreciate your help.

gsim

Threads
Spring aids tension, also lessens shock when PTO engaged. Spring on my 930D2 hooked to threaded rod J hook. I had to adjust mine as belts seated and stretched. Owner operator manual gives correct length of spring coil portion when properly adjusted. (ditto for deck belt tensioner) Belt should be where it can be depressed slightly with firm pressure, but not so tight cannot be flexed at all with finger pressure. Too loose will result in shorter belt life. Too tight shortens life of idler bearing.

1mk2

Threads
Thanks everyone for your replies, I ordered a new belt and found that was my problem and it is running great again. My grasshopper is an old used one and I am learning much about which is why I bought a used one since I never had a zero turn mower before and was impressed with what I saw of grasshopper mowers and thought this would be a great place to start.