Missing grass

Scag1217

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so I purchase a new turf tiger with the 26 hp Kawasaki 52 inch cut thinking this is the last mower I'll ever buy. Bring it home and upon engaging the blades I notice the middle blade in particular was missing strands of grass. I finished cutting and took the mower back to the dealer and they adjusted the baffle and sharpened the blades. It had 3.4 hours of cutting time at that point. I tested it at their test yard and it still missed and I asked the tech if that's the best it's gonna do. He made some excuse about byhalia grass being tough. I've lowered the baffle to next to the lowest position and changed to aftermarket blades but it still misses periodically. I'm not cutting commercially, just a homeowner but this sucks. ANY IDEAS?

Steve0853

Threads
Ok, so I purchase a new turf tiger with the 26 hp Kawasaki 52 inch cut thinking this is the last mower I'll ever buy. Bring it home and upon engaging the blades I notice the middle blade in particular was missing strands of grass. I finished cutting and took the mower back to the dealer and they adjusted the baffle and sharpened the blades. It had 3.4 hours of cutting time at that point. I tested it at their test yard and it still missed and I asked the tech if that's the best it's gonna do. He made some excuse about byhalia grass being tough. I've lowered the baffle to next to the lowest position and changed to aftermarket blades but it still misses periodically. I'm not cutting commercially, just a homeowner but this sucks. ANY IDEAS?

I've had that with two different mowers over that last years. One was a Grasshopper 225 and the other is a Scag Turf Tiger. The tech was right about Bahia grass, but not because its tough.

If the middle anti scalp roller is pressing firmly on the ground, it will press the long blades of Bahia grass down flat and it won't stand back up until the mower deck has passed completely over it. Then, when you get to the end of your cut and turn around, it has stood back up and looks like the blade didn't cut.

The best way to fix that is to adjust your deck so that the middle anti-scalp roller is not pressing down on the ground. You may have to change the front to back angle a little bit. At least try to have a little clearance between the ground and the roller.

Also, in thick Bahia (or dandelions) you will have to either go real slow or go real fast and cut one direction, then go back and make a pass over the same area in the opposite direction. Personally, I use the fast method and double cut. It makes for a better looking yard and no matter how slow you go, if you single cut, some stems are still going to be sticking up. Double cutting at high speed saves time and the cut looks better.