Export thread

Miners in Chile

D

Driller

Have you been following this situation with the miners trapped in Chile? They sure are an inspiration on cooperation. It looks like they may get out before Christmas. I sure hope so.

173abn

173abn

Driller,I heard maybe by this weekend. No way I'd be a miner. russ

M

monica123

We had a tragedy back in the 90s here, there were 80+ people trapped in a mine, the shaft collapsed, sadly most of them didn't get out alive. It was a horrible situation.

M

macky

Can't imagine getting into something with a chance that you get entombed there. Scary. I pray they come out alive and well. I also hope their sanity is intact once they get out.

Anyhow, hi guys! I'm new here :) I went browsing the forums and this one caught my attention.

T

Twinkle

Being claustrophobic this is hard to imagine. I think I would be the first to go stir crazy. I did read that NASA are advising people there on how to help these guys stay sane but it must be a horrific ordeal. I just heard they may be out by Tuesday so fingers crossed.

JDgreen

JDgreen

Have you been following this situation with the miners trapped in Chile? They sure are an inspiration on cooperation. It looks like they may get out before Christmas. I sure hope so.

Saw part of the rescue late last nite, was so happy for those poor men being able to get to safety. How many of you think they will return to work doing mining?

T

Twinkle

I am overjoyed to hear that they are all out safely. It's a dangerous profession and I'm sure they and their families are thinking of those in similar situations who were not so blessed. As for how many will go back to it - I'd say most of them. It's a lifestyle for many of them, has been through generations.

M

Manny

I wonder how they would have even made it until Christmas, with the small rations of food and water that they had. It was good thinking on the foreman's part, but it couldn't have been an easy job. They had to be starving, and I am surprised that they didn't start fighting each other over it.

M

macky

Indeed, news about the success of the rescue is very heart-warming:
Dramatic endgame nears for trapped Chile miners - Yahoo! News

I can't help but feel that the time frame of four months was announced for a purpose. There was clearly a possibility of completing such a rescue in a few weeks. But to announce a longer time frame was good for those underground psychologically speaking.

B

brucesdeere

This was defiantly a good news story, I guess they managed to break world records, not that that matters, but for so many to survive such an ordeal is almost unheard of.

T

Twinkle

I m waiting for news of a movie based on their inspirational story. This is the kind of thing that makes me grateful for what I have, we take so much for granted. I hope the media leave them in peace though.

M

monica123

I certainly worry about invasion of their privacy. They will be "celebrities" for a while when I am sure they just want to relax and spend times with their families.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I m waiting for news of a movie based on their inspirational story. This is the kind of thing that makes me grateful for what I have, we take so much for granted. I hope the media leave them in peace though.

I think many of them will enjoy being in the public eye for a while, but that would get tiring after a while. I wonder if their country makes such a big deal about celebrities the way ours does, on tv I see these huge crowds in Hollywood or whatever clamoring for a look at some famous person and a hundred camera flashes going off per minute....Jeez, why do people care about getting a look at someone like Jessica Simpson, or whoever? I tell people even if she was at a party next door (100 feet away) I wouldn't bother to go over and get a look at her. Or anybody else who makes such a fanfare when seen in public WHO CARES???

B

brucesdeere

I heard on the news today that when they were released from the hospital they snuck them out the back to keep them away from the press and the questions.

T

touree

I have been following the news and love the solidarity at show. In this kind of situation, people get to forget whatever sort of relations/enmity they have and get to work.

I hope the situation is brought under control in the shortest time possible.

M

Manny

Well, they went through hell on earth, for sure, so now maybe it will all be heaven for them. There are a lot of deals in the works for them, and they deserve it!

M

macky

I would bet that a movie about them would come out soon. Same thing happened with 9/11.

In the meantime, keeping the press off the survivors is a brilliant and noble move. For one thing, their respective families deserve their attention more than those wide-eyed scoop-seeking media people. I don't mean media people are bad. But I believe they need to be kept out at some points to preserve the sanity of people.