mid mount deck leveling

banshee350

Threads
I just installed a new deck on my 321d mid mount mower. I read thru the owners manual about leveling side to side and front to back and did what it said. Measuring the blade height is almost impossible when you have to measure the back side of the blade. I put a level across the mower deck and checked leve from side to side and front to back. Is there a easier way of doing this?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just installed a new deck on my 321d mid mount mower. I read thru the owners manual about leveling side to side and front to back and did what it said. Measuring the blade height is almost impossible when you have to measure the back side of the blade. I put a level across the mower deck and checked leve from side to side and front to back. Is there a easier way of doing this?
The blade cutting edge height can be measured if a person builds himself a gauge and forgets about trying to use a tape measure etc. and read numbers. At this point all we need be concerned with is a comparison of cutting edges of different blades from a flat surface that we parked the mower on.

The surface flatness is important to the degree of accuracy you are looking for. More often than not a level surface is in most conversations, but level isn't relevant here and the flat surface could be on a 15 degree incline and work just as well as being level.

So get yourself a 2x4 block about 4 inches long + - and duct tape a strip of styrofoam ( from your drink cup ) to one edge with a couple of narrow strips of tape top and bottom. Under the left side ( opposite discharge side ) let the cutting edge of that blade lightly touch the styrofoam. It will leave an imprint. Remove the block and draw a pencil line through that imprint for reference.

Move to the discharge side and with that blade at right angles to the mower length repeat what was done on the left side. Reference that imprint with the pencil.

Remove the styrofoam strip and label it side to side. Place a new strip of styrofoam on the 2x4 for fromt to rear comparisons..

Now while still on the right side blade compare the front to back level of the right hand blade cutting edges only.

If front to back needs adjustment this may change the side to side comparisons ( measurements ) and those may need to be tweeted again and likewise side to side changes often effect front to back adjustments. After 3 or possibly 4 trips around doing this procedure you may be getting close to your specifications.

Remember, we're comparing distances at this point. When satisfied, a measurement can be taken from the 2x4 end that was on the flat surface to imprint lines with a ruler if that distance becomes important as it might on some mowers. It just doesn't happen to be important to me. I just look at the grass and adjust the height lever if necessary.

Mower manic

Threads
The blade cutting edge height can be measured if a person builds himself a gauge and forgets about trying to use a tape measure etc. and read numbers. At this point all we need be concerned with is a comparison of cutting edges of different blades from a flat surface that we parked the mower on.

The surface flatness is important to the degree of accuracy you are looking for. More often than not a level surface is in most conversations, but level isn't relevant here and the flat surface could be on a 15 degree incline and work just as well as being level.

So get yourself a 2x4 block about 4 inches long + - and duct tape a strip of styrofoam ( from your drink cup ) to one edge with a couple of narrow strips of tape top and bottom. Under the left side ( opposite discharge side ) let the cutting edge of that blade lightly touch the styrofoam. It will leave an imprint. Remove the block and draw a pencil line through that imprint for reference.

Move to the discharge side and with that blade at right angles to the mower length repeat what was done on the left side. Reference that imprint with the pencil.

Remove the styrofoam strip and label it side to side. Place a new strip of styrofoam on the 2x4 for fromt to rear comparisons..

Now while still on the right side blade compare the front to back level of the right hand blade cutting edges only.

If front to back needs adjustment this may change the side to side comparisons ( measurements ) and those may need to be tweeted again and likewise side to side changes often effect front to back adjustments. After 3 or possibly 4 trips around doing this procedure you may be getting close to your specifications.

Remember, we're comparing distances at this point. When satisfied, a measurement can be taken from the 2x4 end that was on the flat surface to imprint lines with a ruler if that distance becomes important as it might on some mowers. It just doesn't happen to be important to me. I just look at the grass and adjust the height lever if necessary.

And that's easier than a tape measure?
If it works for you then by god, get your cups, saws and 2x4's and do whatever it is you just said. I'll use a retractable steel tape measure.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
And that's easier than a tape measure?
If it works for you then by god, get your cups, saws and 2x4's and do whatever it is you just said. I'll use a retractable steel tape measure.
If you aren't capable taping a strip of styrofoam to a 2x4 block edge, I suggest you go ahead and use a retractable tape that someone else made for you.