maybe the diode?

teachme

Threads
Just wondering if the alternator is bad but th diode is good of I fully charge the battery after mowing the battery should be charged when I come back to it right.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the diode has been install backwards the battery will discharge.

teachme

Threads
If the diode has been install backwards the battery will discharge.

thata what I was thinking but it seems to be wired from alternator through to a circuit breaker the straight to the battery side of the solenoid. where would the diode be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have only one wire coming from the stator going to the solenoid, that would contain the diode. Simple check, charge the battery, take a voltage reading on the battery, remove that wire from the solenoid and let it sit over night. Take a voltage reading the next day. If the voltage has dropped, it is not the stator, diode assembly. You are going to have to look deeper. Leave the large positive cable on the solenoid.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
teach, Check the electrolyte (if bat has caps on cells) with a bat hydrometer to be sure the bat responds to charging. A worn out bat can take a surface charge that will show 12-14 v , but be bad. If you find the diode check current flow with a meter (vom). Should pass current in one direction only. Does your charger show a completion light or are you just charging and assuming it is charged? Tips that may help. :thumbsup:

Edit: Just reread your post.. If you mow, stop, start , mow,stop, start etc your mower may not necessarily restore charge so that the bat is fully charged after mowing. Each start depletes bat so that it needs charging.

teachme

Threads
thanks for the help man it actually turned out the valves needed adjusting so it was so hard to start that nothing short of a fully charged battery would turn it over. Got it all square now.