Manny Pacuiao

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
This post is directed generally to our friends living in the Phillipines but not specifically:
I was watching 60 minutes on Sunday and they did a short peice on the "Pac man" and his stature, not only in boxing but in the political arena as well. According to CBS, Manny is nothing short of a national hero. He has been elected the the house of representatives, a congressman if you will.
When Manny is in the ring defending one of his 8 tittles they say (60 minutes) the entire country stops, even the crime, everything comes to a standstill while the enire population watches thier country's finest boxer skillfully perform his craft. Manny was portrayed as a man who loves his country very much and is going to do his best to make it a better place. There were hints of politcal aspirations as high as president.
He will be challenged in our country, in Dallas at the new stadium, a huge forum, Saturday by Antonio Margarito a much taller opponent. I may be watching the future presidient of the Philipines boxing highlights on Sunday morning. Having watched him fight several times and being somewhat familiar with his opponent, I'm thinking the fight will go the distance and I'm looking forward to it. Both boxers are 31-32 years old and are fighting for the super welter weight title 147#-154#
I wondering if our members living in the Phillipines can enlighten me to just how popular Many Pacuiao is and if they will be watching and what thier predictions are.
Go Pac Man:thumbsup:

landscaper

Threads
"Pac Man" had been a pride and honor of the the Philippines since maybe late 1990s or early 2000s. Not sure of the year since, I am not a big fan of boxing.

In Metro Manila where I live, streets are free from traffic jam every Pacquiao fight. However, this recent fight, it is not zero crime anymore. :(

Pacquaio is one of the most respected person here in the Philippines, but he acts like an ordinary person. He cracks jokes with his known "bisayan" accent and manages his wealth well enough. Hope I am right. ;)

If I were to ask, he has bring so much pride to our country already. I think, it is time for him to retire. :)

minkyung

Threads
I was following the fight in the news. Incidentally I was not able to watch. Something came up.

But I learned that he won over Margarito. Amazing. Pacquiao is shorter (height and length of arm). But he defeated someone bigger. Congratulations to Philippines.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Pac Man" had been a pride and honor of the the Philippines since maybe late 1990s or early 2000s. Not sure of the year since, I am not a big fan of boxing.

In Metro Manila where I live, streets are free from traffic jam every Pacquiao fight. However, this recent fight, it is not zero crime anymore. :(

Pacquaio is one of the most respected person here in the Philippines, but he acts like an ordinary person. He cracks jokes with his known "bisayan" accent and manages his wealth well enough. Hope I am right. ;)

If I were to ask, he has bring so much pride to our country already. I think, it is time for him to retire. :)

I agree, I hope he doesn't fight Mayweather he has nothing to prove. 8 titles is more than enough.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was following the fight in the news. Incidentally I was not able to watch. Something came up.

But I learned that he won over Margarito. Amazing. Pacquiao is shorter (height and length of arm). But he defeated someone bigger. Congratulations to Philippines.
He sent Margarito to the hospital and probably ended his boxing career. Manny said he wanted the ref to end the fight because of the eye, as it turns out he factured Margarito's skull.

Last edited:

adan

Threads
I wondering if our members living in the Phillipines can enlighten me to just how popular Many Pacuiao is and if they will be watching and what thier predictions are.

I wish I saw this post in time. Practically everyone in the Philippines knew that Manny Pacquiao would win. It wasn't out of national pride, but out of sheer observation of how Pacquiao prepared for the fight compared to Margarito. The bets were on which round he would defeat Margarito.

It turned out Margarito lasted up to the 12th round. It was sad that the referee did not stop the fight. My Facebook Wall was filled with prayers from friends (especially the women) that the referee would stop the fight. Margarito was clearly seriously injured. As it turned out, his skull was fractured.
Margarito to undergo operation for skull fracture | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

Pacquiao is a highly respected man in the Philippines, although he did not graduate from high school. His discipline is noteworthy. He is also known for his mild behavior. Today, many like him even more because of his wealth, his generosity and his apparent ability to handle his portfolio well (hope we're right).

During the fight, indeed, a friend said he didn't watch it to simply cherish the joy of driving around Metro Manila with absolutely no traffic jam. Friends in other cities said the same.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This post is directed generally to our friends living in the Phillipines but not specifically:
I was watching 60 minutes on Sunday and they did a short peice on the "Pac man" and his stature, not only in boxing but in the political arena as well. According to CBS, Manny is nothing short of a national hero. He has been elected the the house of representatives, a congressman if you will.
When Manny is in the ring defending one of his 8 tittles they say (60 minutes) the entire country stops, even the crime, everything comes to a standstill while the enire population watches thier country's finest boxer skillfully perform his craft. Manny was portrayed as a man who loves his country very much and is going to do his best to make it a better place. There were hints of politcal aspirations as high as president.
He will be challenged in our country, in Dallas at the new stadium, a huge forum, Saturday by Antonio Margarito a much taller opponent. I may be watching the future presidient of the Philipines boxing highlights on Sunday morning. Having watched him fight several times and being somewhat familiar with his opponent, I'm thinking the fight will go the distance and I'm looking forward to it. Both boxers are 31-32 years old and are fighting for the super welter weight title 147#-154#

We could have watched the fight on HBO for $55 but didn't want to pay that much. I am not a boxing fan, but really admire Manny because he has dedicated himself and trained so hard to become a great fighter. I would only hope that if he makes a career in politics, he shows the same honestly and dedication (especially HONESTY) he applied to his fighting career.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We could have watched the fight on HBO for $55 but didn't want to pay that much. I am not a boxing fan, but really admire Manny because he has dedicated himself and trained so hard to become a great fighter. I would only hope that if he makes a career in politics, he shows the same honestly and dedication (especially HONESTY) he applied to his fighting career.

Well said:smile:
I agree, 55$ is too much when you consider the fight could end in seconds with boxers of this skill level and the sport with it's associations has questionable ethics. I made the same choice you did. The fight however, was a good one since it "went the distance"....I've no regrets. I'll see it sometime in the future.

landscaper

Threads
I agree, I hope he doesn't fight Mayweather he has nothing to prove. 8 titles is more than enough.

Exactly Sir! whether he will win or lose in his next fight, He already had our sympathy and trust and hailed him as one of our heroes.

Amen to that sir! we badly need honest leaders at this point in time. ;)