lx188 ignition problem

Gvn

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lx188 has an ignition problem, starter is good, solenoid is new, battery new, when u hook battery up the starter spins???? It doesn't turn the engine over, it just spins. Can I please get some help. I can change parts, but when it comes to electrical issues I'm lost.
the solenoid spins when the key is not in but when I connect the cable to positive battery post

Gvn

Forum Newbie
Threads
could this be a bad ignition switch?

KingKen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Gvn, can you clarify here the starter spins but doesn't turn the engine over? Is that what you're saying? Doesn't sound electrical to me then that ISNT an ignition problem more of a mechanical drive issue from starter to engine. The solenoid doesn't spin it transfers high current via contacts to the starter. Can you be more specific maybe?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably a bad bendix, can you give us all the engine numbers, so we know what you are talking about.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
First off make sure the key switch is not stuck in the start position. Key will sometimes come out when not in the off position. Then check wiring at the switch, look for cut or bare wires touching or the plug in connector not in the right postion. The starter not engaging is usually either low voltage or a dirty or bad bendix drive on the starter.

D

Deleted member 97405

LX188 has a solenoid shift starter. Make sure the positive battery cable is not bolted to the same post as the short cable going to the starter motor. The only way the starter motor can get power is through the solenoid, and since the solenoid isn't shifting the bendix, I'm assuming you may have the red positive cable mounted to the wrong stud on the solenoid. The black arrow points to the stud your cable should be connected to. The white circle is the other shorter stud. Only the braided cable going to the starter motor should be on this stud. Your purple wire goes on the spade terminal. If you already have it connected up correctly, something weird is going on because the solenoid throws the bendix gear against the ring gear at the same time it powers the starter motor.
Capture1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: